Whether they ’ re loud or silent, icky, or odorless, everyone farts. Doctors say the average person farts anywhere from 5 to 15 times per day. Farting is a normal part of digestion that reflects the natural process of the bacteria in your gut. You might besides notice that you fart more when you eat certain foods that are more difficult to digest, such as beans or raw vegetables. While farting every sidereal day is normal, farting all the time is not. excessive fart, besides called turgidity, can make you feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. It might besides be a sign of a health problem. You have excessive flatulence if you fart more than 20 times per day. In most cases, excessive fart can be controlled with changes to your diet and life style. But in some cases, it ’ south necessity to seek out medical attention. What should you do about your excessive flatulence ? here ’ s what you need to know :
What can be done to prevent excess farting?
No count the cause of your surfeit fart, there are some things you can do today to try to get it under control. Some good strategies include :
Read more: 15 Healthy Foods That Help You Poop
- Avoid foods you know usually cause you to fart. You might find it helpful to keep a food journal and note which foods cause you the least and most amounts of gas. Stick to eating foods that cause you the least amount of gas.
- Try eating more frequent and smaller meals throughout the day. This reduces the amount of stress on your digestive system, hopefully reducing the amount of gas you experience.
- Eat and drink more slowly. Eating and drinking fast increases the amount of air you swallow. Eating and drinking more slowly can reduce this and hopefully reduce how much you fart.
- Exercise regularly to prevent gas buildup in your digestive tract. Healthy adults should get at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity per day.
- Eat fewer fatty foods. These foods slow digestion and give food in your digestive tract more time to ferment, resulting in excessive gas.
- Try an over-the-counter gas remedy. Medications containing simethicone, such as Gas-X or Mylanta Gas, are designed to break up gas bubbles in the digestive tract. Medications such as Beano are meant to decrease the amount of gas produced during the body’s digestion of beans and other high-fiber foods.
- Give up smoking and chewing gum. This can make you swallow excess air, which builds up in your digestive tract.
- Avoid carbonated beverages such as soda and beer. This can cause gas bubbles to build up in your digestive tract.
When should you go see a doctor?
While farting is normal, excessive fart is not. excessive fart can besides disrupt your life. It can make you feel embarrassed or self-conscious and get in the manner of you enjoying your everyday activities.
The good news is, in most cases, excessive fart is easy to get under control. All it takes are a few changes to your diet and life style. In cases where excessive fart international relations and security network ’ t easily managed with at-home remedies, you should see your sophisticate. Be specially certain to see your doctor if your excessive flatulence is accompanied by :
- abdominal pain and bloating that doesn’t go away
- recurring diarrhea or constipation
- unexplained weight loss
- bowel incontinence
- blood in your stool
- signs of an infection, such as high body temperature, vomiting, chills, and pain in your joints or muscles