Chronic constipation care at Mayo Clinic
- Teamwork. Doctors in gastroenterology, along with specialists in colon and rectal surgery, gynecology, and physical medicine and rehabilitation, work together to make an accurate diagnosis and to develop a treatment plan for your needs.
- Advanced diagnostic resources. Specialists at Mayo Clinic can use a wide variety of tests to identify the cause of constipation, including tests to assess movement of material through your gastrointestinal tract (scintigraphy), muscle contractions in your colon (motility tests), and function of your rectal and pelvic floor muscles.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with chronic constipation includes counseling in nutrition and lifestyle changes, medications, surgery and biofeedback training.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Specialists in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., provide a treatment plan for chronic constipation caused by tension or poor coordination of the pelvic floor muscles ( pelvic shock dysfunction ). This type of chronic constipation is coarse and nothing to be embarrassed about .
The two-week Bowel Evacuation Disorders Program focuses on retraining the pelvic floor muscles. These muscles control the outlets of the intestine and bladder. If your pelvic floor muscles do n’t work together by rights, you may have difficulty passing a intestine movement .
During the course of study, participants use biofeedback to learn to relax specific muscles and practice aim with a water-filled balloon. The course of study includes home follow-up. Most people who participate in the retraining platform experience improvement in the restraint and coordination of their pelvic floor muscles.
Reading: Care at Mayo Clinic
To participate in the Bowel Evacuation Disorders Program, you must be referred by a doctor at Mayo Clinic ‘s campus in Minnesota. You may require extra tests to confirm the diagnosis of pelvic floor dysfunction. For more data about Mayo Clinic ‘s Bowel Evacuation Disorders Program, call 507-538-3836 .
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience diagnosing and treating chronic constipation.
- Teamwork. Doctors in gastroenterology work together with specialists in colon and rectal surgery, gynecology, and physical medicine and rehabilitation to make an accurate diagnosis and to develop a treatment plan for your needs.
- Experimental treatments. Mayo Clinic is actively involved in research on new therapies for chronic constipation, and you may have access to experimental treatments not available elsewhere.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children ‘s Center in Rochester is ranked the No. 1 hospital in Minnesota, and the five-state region of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin, according to U.S. News & World Report ‘s 2021-2022 “ Best Children ‘s Hospitals ” rankings .
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona ; Jacksonville, Florida ; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states .
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your localization below :
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network supplier for millions of people .
In most cases, Mayo Clinic does n’t require a doctor referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have extra requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical motivation .
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic .
Please contact your indemnity company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authority prior to your visit. Often, your insurance company ‘s customer serve number is printed on the back of your policy tease .
There is a problem with data submitted for this request. Review/update the information highlighted below and resubmit the form .
Get the latest health information from Mayo Clinic delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe for release and receive your in-depth usher to digestive health, plus the latest on health innovations and news. You can unsubscribe at any time.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid e-mail address
First Name (let us know your preferred name)
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which information is beneficial, we may combine your e-mail and web site use information with early data we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic affected role, this could include protected health information. If we combine this data with your protected health information, we will treat all of that information as protect health information and will only use or disclose that information as set away in our notice of privacy practices. You may opt-out of electronic mail communications at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe connection in the electronic mail .
Thank you for subscribing
Your in-depth digestive health guide will be in your inbox soon. You will besides receive emails from Mayo Clinic on the latest health news program, inquiry, and wish .
If you don ’ metric ton receive our electronic mail within 5 minutes, check your SPAM folder, then contact us at newsletters @ mayoclinic.com .
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
Read more: Gastritis – Symptoms and causes