What is binge eating disorder?
Binge eating disorder is an illness that involves eating a draw of food in a short total of time. The person with bust eating disorder feels out of command about how much he or she eats. More food is eaten than others eat in the lapp amount of prison term, under the same circumstances. It differs from bulimia. People with bust eating disorder do n’t purge their bodies of the surfeit food via vomit, laxative pervert, or diuretic drug abuse .
Who is affected by binge eating disorder?
People with bust eating perturb much :
- Eat big amounts of food
Do n’t stop eating until they are uncomfortably fully
Reading: Binge Eating Disorder
- Feel embarrassed by the come of food they are eating
- Have a history of slant gains and losses
- Have more trouble losing burden and keeping it off than people with other serious weight problems
about 1 % to 2 % of the population have binge eat disorder. It ‘s seen more much in women than in men .
What are complications of binge eating disorder?
Complications from orgy eating perturb admit :
- Overweight or fleshiness
Increased risk for :
- high cholesterol
- high gear blood coerce
- Gallbladder disease
- Heart disease
- Some types of cancer
- Increased risk for psychiatric illnesses, peculiarly depressive disorder
People with orgy eating perturb typically eat huge amounts of food at one meter — much debris food — to reduce stress and relieve anxiety .
- Guilt and depressive disorder normally follow orgy eat.
- People with gorge eating disorder are at higher risk for depressive mood disorders, anxiety, and kernel abuse .
Biochemistry and eating disorders
To understand eating disorders, researchers have studied the central nervous and hormonal systems. This system regulates many functions of the mind and body. It has been found that many of the follow functions may be, to some degree, disturbed in people with eating disorders :
- sexual function
- physical growth and development
- Appetite and digestion
- Heart function
- Kidney function
Eating disorders and depression
many people with eating disorders besides appear to have natural depression. It is believed that there may be a associate between these 2 disorders. For model :
- research has shown that some people with orgy eating disorder may respond well to antidepressant medicine that affects serotonin affair in the consistency .
- biochemical similarities have been discovered between people with eating disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorder ( OCD ), and people with OCD frequently have abnormal eat behaviors .
Genetic and environmental factors related to eating disorders
Eating disorders tend to run in families, and female relatives are the most frequently affected. That is why genic factors are believed to play a function in the disorders.
But, other influences, both behavioral and environmental, may besides play a role. Consider these facts from the American Psychiatric Association :
- Most people with orgy eating disorder are adolescent and young adult women. Yet this disorder can besides affect older women and males of any historic period .
- People pursuing professions or activities that emphasize thinness, like model, dancing, gymnastics, wrestle, and long-distance race, are more prone to this disorder .