- adrenocorticotropic hormone
- serum adrenocorticotropic hormone
- highly-sensitive ACTH
- cosyntropin, which is a drug form of ACTH
An ACTH test measures the levels of both ACTH and hydrocortisone in the blood and helps your doctor detect diseases that are associated with besides much or besides little hydrocortisone in the body. potential causes of these diseases include :
- a pituitary or adrenal malfunction
- a pituitary tumor
- an adrenal tumor
- a lung tumor
How the ACTH test is performed
Your repair may advise you not to take any steroid hormone drugs before your quiz. These can affect the accuracy of the results. The test is normally done first thing in the dawn. ACTH levels are highest when you ’ ve equitable woken up. Your doctor will probable schedule your test for very early in the morning. ACTH levels are tested using a blood sample distribution. A blood sample is taken by drawing rake from a vein, normally from the inside of the elbow. Giving a blood sample involves the pursue steps :
- A healthcare provider first cleans the site with an antiseptic to kill germs.
- Then, they’ll wrap an elastic band around your arm. This causes the vein to swell with blood.
- They’ll gently insert a needle syringe into your vein and collect your blood in the syringe tube.
- When the tube is full, the needle is removed. The elastic band is then removed, and the puncture site is covered with sterile gauze to stop the bleeding.
What ACTH test results can mean
convention values of ACTH are 9 to 52 picograms per milliliter. Normal measure ranges may vary slightly depending on the testing ground. Your repair will explain your test results to you. A high level of ACTH may be a signboard of :
- Addison’s disease
- adrenal hyperplasia
- Cushing’s disease
- an ectopic tumor that produces ACTH
- adrenoleukodystrophy, which is very rare
- Nelson’s syndrome, which is very rare
A moo level of ACTH may be a signboard of :
- adrenal tumor
- exogenous Cushing’s syndrome
Taking steroid medications can cause first gear levels of ACTH, so be sure to tell your repair if you are on any steroids .
Risks of an ACTH test
blood tests are normally well-tolerated. Some people have smaller or larger veins, which may make taking a blood sample distribution more difficult. however, risks associated with rake tests like the ACTH hormone test are rare. uncommon risks of having blood drawn include :
- excessive bleeding
- lightheadedness or fainting
- hematoma, or blood pooling under the skin
- infection at the site
What to expect after an ACTH test
Diagnosing ACTH diseases can be highly complex. Your sophisticate may need to order more testing ground tests and perform a physical examen before they can make a diagnosis. For ACTH secreting tumors, operation is normally indicated. sometimes, drugs such as cabergoline can be used to normalize hydrocortisone levels. Hypercortisolism due to adrenal tumors normally requires operation vitamin a well .