Reading: Healthy weight gain during pregnancy
Why a healthy weight gain is important
You and your baby will both benefit if you maintain a healthy weight .
Benefits for your baby
Benefits for your pamper of a healthy weight amplification :
- Supply of oxygen and nutrients.
- Lower risk of complications at birth.
- More likely to be born at a healthy weight.
- Less risk of medical problems such as diabetes in later life.
Benefits for you
Benefits of a goodly weight profit for you :
- You will feel healthier and have more energy.
- Be a healthier weight after your baby is born.
- Reduce the risk of complications during pregnancy and birth.
- It helps to prepare your body for breastfeeding.
How many calories you need
Most women do n’t need supernumerary calories during the beginning trimester of pregnancy. You will need an extra 200 calories a day in the second and one-third trimester. This is roughly the like as 2 slices of bread .
Extra food servings
You can include an extra 2 to 3 servings a day from the food pyramid in the second base and third base tailored. This is to allow for the rebuff increase in energy needed. This could include a service of fruit, adust beans, a field glass of milk or 20g of almonds. early examples include a slice of bread, a can of pink-orange, yogurt or 2 rye crackers with light cheese. healthy eating during pregnancy
Pregnancy weight gain
Most pregnancy weight addition happens in the irregular and third base trimesters. A goodly weight acquire depends on your weight before you became fraught. If you were a goodly weight before, expect to gain 0.5kg per workweek in the second and third base trimesters .
Do n’t try to lose weight unit by going on a diet. rather, focus on healthy eat and staying active .
If you are underweight
Being scraggy increases the chances of a previous birth for your baby. It besides increases the chances of your baby having a low-weight at parentage. You may besides suffer from anemia ( low amount of iron in the blood ). You may need to gain more burden to bring you to a healthy burden. Your midwife or GP will check your slant. They will tell you how much weight you should gain for a healthy pregnancy .
If you are overweight or obese
If you are corpulence or corpulent, you have a greater risk of developing gestational diabetes. You are besides at a greater gamble of high blood blackmail during pregnancy.
There are besides some risks to your child. These include excessive parturition burden. Your baby may be born with depleted blood sugars or breathing problems. Losing system of weights is not recommended when you are fraught. If you are worry that you are corpulence or corpulent :
- talk to your GP, midwife or obstetrician about ways to reduce the risk to you and your baby
- make healthy changes to what you eat
- talk with your obstetrician or midwife about the safest way, and place, for you to give birth.