The digest produces a strong acidic to help digest food and protect against microbes. To protect the tissues of the body from this acidic, it besides secretes a thick layer of mucus. If the mucus layer is worn away and stops functioning efficaciously, the acidic can damage the stomach tissue, causing an ulcer. An calculate one in every ten-spot people in western countries will have an ulcer in the stomach or little intestine at some luff in their lives. digest ulcers are relatively easy to cure, but they can cause significant problems if left untreated. Having a digest system that ’ randomness been there and understands is important. IBD Healthline is a free app for people that have faced conditions that can cause stomach ulcers. The app is available on the AppStore and Google Play. Download here : hypertext transfer protocol : //go.onelink.me/LOC7/ebe34bcc .
Pain is the main symptom of a digest ulcer, either around the stomach or slightly higher up. The authoritative symptom of a stomach ulcer is indigestion, besides called indigestion. indigestion causes pain or discomfort in the stomach area. This symptom can be mistaken for heartburn, which can occur at the like clock. heartburn can be caused by acid ebb or gastroesophageal ebb disease ( GERD ). It occurs slenderly higher up from the digest and is felt in the lower share of the breast. It is worth noting that not all digest ulcers cause indigestion. Stomach ulcer symptoms tend to be more discrete than heartburn, but symptoms can still be undefined. An ulcer tends to produce a burn or numb pain in the stomach area. This pain is sometimes described as a “ biting ” or “ gnawing ” pain. Some people may describe a athirst sensation. other symptoms include :
- weight loss
- nausea and vomiting
- not eating because of pain
- pain may be relieved by eating, drinking, or taking antacids
Some stomach ulcers go unnoticed and show no distinctive indigestion-type pains. These ulcers are less common and tend to be diagnosed after the ulcer has started bleeding. Some ulcers can cause a hole in the stomach wall. This is known as perforation and is a unplayful stipulate. Stomach ulcer symptoms often change over time and can be difficult to spot.
dietary changes can help prevent stomach ulcers from developing. People at hazard of stomach ulcers should include more of the follow nutrients in their diet :
- Fruits and vegetables: Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables is key to a healthy digestive tract lining. These foods are rich in antioxidants, inhibit acid secretion, and contain cytoprotective and anti-inflammatory properties. A 2017 study advises that these are all important factors for preventing and treating ulcers.
- Fiber: Diets high in soluble dietary fiber reduce the risk of developing stomach ulcers.
- Probiotics: Food that contains active bacterial content, such as probiotic yogurt, can help to reduce a Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)infection. Probiotics have been shown to slightly improve symptoms of indigestion and the side effects of antibiotics.
- Vitamin C: This powerful antioxidant may be effective in helping to eradicate H. pylori, especially when taken in small doses over an extended period. Fruits, legumes, and vegetables, such as oranges and tomatoes, contain high levels of vitamin C.
- Zinc: This micronutrient is important for maintaining a healthy immune system and healing wounds. Oysters, spinach, and beef contain high levels of zinc.
- Selenium: This may reduce the risk of infection complications and may also promote healing. Brazil nuts, yellowfin tuna, and halibut are recommended for their high selenium content.
Avoiding alcohol and caffeine can besides help reduce the gamble, as they both cause the body to produce more gastric acid. This can lead to stomach ulcers. It is important to use dietary options to support a treatment design for the most effective result, as opposed to relying entirely on diet .
A class of painkillers known as NSAIDs can increase the risk of abdomen ulcers. The two main causes of ulcers of the digest and humble intestine are :
- H. pylori bacteria
- a class of painkillers called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
Less common causes of stomach ulcers include :
- Excess stomach acidity, or hyperacidity: This can occur for a range of reasons, including genetics, smoking, stress, and some foods.
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: This is a rare disease that causes an excess of stomach acid to be produced.
certain behaviors and factors increase the chances of developing a stomach ulcer. These include :
- frequent steroid usage
- overproducing calcium, or hypercalcemia
- consuming alcohol frequently
stomach ulcers are more common in individuals over 50 years of historic period. People can develop a stomach ulcer at any age, but they are much less coarse in children. The risk in children is higher if their parents smoke .
NSAID drugs and stomach ulcers
A group of painkillers known as NSAIDs carries a risk of stomach ulcers. The two best-known NSAIDs are aspirin and ibuprofen. The risk of ulcers increases if the drugs are taken in high doses, or regularly for a farseeing time.
Stronger NSAIDs, such as those that need a prescription drug, are riskier for stomach ulcers than those that can be bought over-the-counter ( OTC ). People should always check labels and talk to a pharmacist or a doctor of the church about any concerns with using painkillers. They may recommend an alternate such as acetaminophen.
stomach ulcers are one type of peptic ulcers. There are two other types : esophageal and duodenal ulcers. esophageal ulcers form inside the esophagus, and duodenal ulcers occur in the uppermost partially of the modest intestine, known as the duodenum. The ulcers share alike characteristics but are identified by their localization in the soundbox.
If the sophisticate thinks there is a stomach ulcer, they may try to remove the cause by :
- changing the type of painkiller if the cause is thought to be NSAIDs
- trying the “test-and-treat” approach if the cause is thought to be H. pylori bacteria
once the lawsuit has been removed, the symptoms of abdomen ulcers can be treated by protecting the ulcer from acidic while it heals. Drugs a doctor could prescribe include :
- proton pump inhibitors (PPI) that block acid-producing cells
- H2-receptor antagonists, which prevent the stomach from producing excess acid
- antacids or alginate. These are available to purchase over-the-counter or online.
- drugs that protect the stomach lining, such as Pepto-Bismol, available to purchase online.
Symptoms frequently subside quickly following treatment. however, the treatment should be continued, particularly if the ulcer is due to an H. pylorus infection. It is besides crucial to avoid drink alcohol, smoking tobacco, and any trigger foods during treatment .
In certain cases, operating room may be an option. For exemplify, if the ulcer continues to return, will not heal, bleeds, or prevents food from leaving the stomach. surgery can include :
- removing the ulcer
- tying off bleeding blood vessels
- sewing tissue from another site onto the ulcer
- cutting the nerve that controls stomach acid production
Complications from stomach ulcers such as run or perforation are rare. Either of these complications requires pressing medical attention.
Stomach ulcers are frequently treated by removing the induce of the problem. Doctors follow the symptoms of a abdomen ulcer by asking questions about how the pain feels, where and when it happens, and how frequent and durable it has been. This process helps to narrow down whether there is a stomach ulcer or not. Your doctor may besides ask for a toilet test or a breath test to find out whether the stomach ulcer is from H. pylori bacteria. If there are more serious symptoms such as bleeding the doctor may require far test, which may include :
- Endoscopy: A camera is inserted at the end of a long, thin, flexible tube to look at the gut lining. A biopsy may also be taken.
- Barium enema: This is a thick liquid that allows X-rays to be taken of the gut.
When to see a doctor
Anyone who thinks they may have an ulcer in their stomach should consult their doctor. Any stomach symptoms that last for more than a few days or keep happening need evaluation and treatment. A slow-bleeding ulcer can be signaled by symptoms of anemia, such as being tired and breathless. More serious run is an pressing medical trouble and can be signaled if blood is vomited up, or stools are black and muggy.
Read more: ED
perforation, or a trap in the stomach, is besides an emergency. Without flying treatment, the wall of the digest can become infect. sudden stomach annoyance that gets worse can indicate perforation, and any signs of being very ailing with infection need treatment arsenic soon as possible. Read the article in spanish .