Colon and small intestine
Colon and small intestine
The little intestine and colon are components of your digestive tract, which processes the foods you eat. The intestines press out nutrients from the foods. What is n’t absorbed by the intestines continues along the digestive tract and is expelled as stool during a intestine bowel movement. Diarrhea can be present due to abnormalities in the small intestine or the large intestine .
intestinal obstruction is a blockage that keeps food or liquid from passing through your small intestine or big intestine ( colon ). Causes of intestinal obstacle may include hempen bands of tissue ( adhesions ) in the abdomen that form after surgery ; hernias ; colon cancer ; certain medications ; or strictures from an kindle intestine caused by certain conditions, such as Crohn ‘s disease or diverticulitis.
Without treatment, the block parts of the intestine can die, leading to serious problems. however, with prompt medical manage, intestinal obstruction much can be successfully treated .
Products & Services
- Book: Mayo Clinic on Digestive Health
Signs and symptoms of intestinal obstruction include :
- Crampy abdominal pain that comes and goes
- Loss of appetite
- Inability to have a bowel movement or pass gas
- Swelling of the abdomen
When to see a doctor
Because of the serious complications that can develop from intestinal obstacle, seek immediate aesculapian manage if you have severe abdominal pain or other symptoms of intestinal obstruction .
intussusception is a rare, good disorder in which one separate of the intestine slides inside an adjacent part.
The most coarse causes of intestinal obstruction in adults are :
- Intestinal adhesions — bands of fibrous tissue in the abdominal cavity that can form after abdominal or pelvic surgery
- Hernias — portions of intestine that protrude into another part of your body
- Colon cancer
In children, the most park induce of intestinal obstruction is telescoping of the intestine ( invagination ) .
early possible causes of intestinal obstruction include :
- Inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn’s disease
- Diverticulitis — a condition in which small, bulging pouches (diverticula) in the digestive tract become inflamed or infected
- Twisting of the colon (volvulus)
- Impacted feces
intestinal pseudo-obstruction ( paralytic intestinal obstruction ) can cause signs and symptoms of intestinal obstruction, but it does n’t involve a physical blockage. In paralytic intestinal obstruction, muscle or nerve problems disrupt the convention coordinated muscle contractions of the intestines, slowing or stopping the movement of food and fluid through the digestive organization .
paralytic intestinal obstruction can affect any part of the intestine. Causes can include :
- Abdominal or pelvic surgery
- Certain medications that affect muscles and nerves, including antidepressants and opioids
- Muscle and nerve disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease
Diseases and conditions that can increase your gamble of intestinal obstacle include :
- Abdominal or pelvic surgery, which often causes adhesions — a common intestinal obstruction
- Crohn’s disease, which can cause the intestine’s walls to thicken, narrowing the passageway
- Cancer in your abdomen
Untreated, intestinal obstacle can cause dangerous, dangerous complications, including :
- Tissue death. Intestinal obstruction can cut off the blood supply to part of your intestine. Lack of blood causes the intestinal wall to die. Tissue death can result in a tear (perforation) in the intestinal wall, which can lead to infection.
- Infection. Peritonitis is the medical term for infection in the abdominal cavity. It’s a life-threatening condition that requires immediate medical and often surgical attention.