Roast a savory platter of healthy, seasonal vegetables!
I love this recipe, you can use just about any seasonal worker vegetable available. It can be prepped ahead of time and served as a vegetarian entree, side dish, over rice, salad or tossed in pasta. Try the veggies in a wrap, panini on directly bread or pizza .
- Fennel, Carrots, Golden Beets, Onions
- Broccolini, Red Beets, Green Beans
Extra vegetables & herbs? Roast them and use them in a variety of dishes.
k and hearty vegetables should be blanched until crisp affectionate, shocked and then finished in the oven .
- Golden Beets, Broccolini, Carrots, Peppers
- Green Beans, Red Beets, Snap Peas
What is shocking?
Shocking, a step that typically follows blanch, involves plunging just-blanched vegetables into ice water to immediately stop the cook process. Doing so keeps the vegetables ’ tinge bright and their texture crisp-tender.
Reading: Roasted Seasonal Vegetables
- Green Beans, Leeks, Zucchini, Onions, Peppers
- Mushrooms, Potatoes, Brussels, Carrots, Broccolini, Lemons
How to blanch and shock vegetables
Cooking times will vary depending on the type of vegetable. Vegetables should be washed and peeled ( see chart below ) .
Bring a boastfully pot of water to boil over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and vegetables individually by type, reappearance to boil, and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Depending on the kind of vegetables you decide to use you may wish to have two pots of boiling water. You can use one pot for all the green vegetables and another batch for vegetables like carrots followed by beets. Garlic and tomatoes can be added at the ridicule stage .
meanwhile, fill a big bowl with ice water. lightly remove the vegetables with a slot spoon or tongs and transfer to the frosting water. When pieces no longer feel warm to the equal, remove vegetable from body of water and drain/dry in a tabloid pan over paper towels. If not roasting immediately refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days .
Should the pot be covered or uncovered after adding the vegetables?
There is no need to use a eyelid while blanching the vegetables. Some delicate vegetables pale promptly, a eyelid just gets in the way .
This chart lists vegetables I enjoy roasting, along with homework tips. Keep most vegetables solid unless indicated .
Roasted Seasonal Vegetables
I love this recipe, you can use just about any seasonal worker vegetable available. The vegetables can be prepped ahead of time and served as a vegetarian entree, side dish, over rice, salad or tossed in pasta. Try the veggies in a wrap, panini on flat boodle or pizza .
Vegetables & Herbs
- Choose several kinds of vegetables, in a variety of colors. Have enough to fill the pan you you plan to use.
- The Vinaigrette below includes thyme and Za ’ attar (the spice mixture commonly includes Sumac, toasted sesame seeds, Mediterranean thyme, greek marjoram and marjoram ). You can substitute both of these for any other herb and spice that you like. I love using fennel pollen in this as well.
c well olive petroleum
tsp. minced garlic
tbsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
tsp. kosher salt
tsp. impertinently ground black pepper
tbsp. minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp. newly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. of Za ’ attar (optional)
- Combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, Zataar if using, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Set aside. You might have extra depending on the amount of vegetables you are roasting. It will keep in the fridge and can be used as a salad dressing.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and vegetables individually by type, return to boil, and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Depending on the variety of vegetables you decide to use you may wish to have two pots of boiling water. You can use one pot for green vegetables and another pot for vegetables such as carrots, followed by darker vegetables like beets. If the water has turned color, discard and start again before blanching additional vegetables.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water. Gently remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon or tongs and transfer to the ice water. When pieces no longer feel warm to the touch, remove vegetables from water and drain/dry on a sheet pan lined with paper towels. If not roasting pack in ziplock bags and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.
- If roasting arrange vegetables in sections by type on a metal baking dish, paella pan or sheet pan lightly coated with olive oil. Vegetables can be left out an hour or so prior to roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the Vinaigrette(reserving some for later), roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette, top with fresh herb springs. If using a pretty paella pan serve from the pan, if not transfer to a platter and serve family style.
What is shocking?
Shocking, a step that typically follows pale, involves plunging just-blanched vegetables into ice water to immediately stop the cooking process. Doing so keeps the vegetables ’ color bright and their texture crisp-tender .
Roasted Vegetables by Soffia Wardy