Reading: 13 things not to do while pregnant
share on PinterestDrinking alcohol while pregnant can cause a variety of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. When a fraught charwoman drinks alcohol, the alcohol crosses the placenta and can affect the fetus. Drinking alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome. A fetus that gets vulnerability to alcohol in the uterus may develop a wide range of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. These disorders can cause the follow health issues :
- physical abnormalities
- intellectual disabilities
- behavioral problems
- poor growth
- developmental delays
- reduced coordination and fine motor skills
Researchers are diffident how much alcohol, if any, it is condom to consume during pregnancy, so most doctors recommend that pregnant women avoid alcohol completely .
Eating certain foods
It is common for meaning women to avoid certain foods during pregnancy, either due to a change in their smell of olfactory property or because the food makes them feel ill. however, there are some foods that all pregnant women should avoid eating. These include :
- Lunch meat and deli salads: Deli meats and foods, such as premade chicken salad, may contain listeria. Listeria is a bacteria that can cross the placenta and may be deadly for the fetus.
- Unpasteurized juice and dairy: As with deli meats, unpasteurized dairy products and juices can contain listeria and other bacteria that may cause food poisoning.
- Some soft cheeses: Certain soft cheese may contain unpasteurized dairy, particularly imported soft cheeses, such as brie, feta, and queso blanco.
- Fish high in mercury: Swordfish, shark, and mackerel are among the fish that contain high levels of mercury. According to March of Dimes, exposing the fetus to mercury may cause brain damage or hearing and vision problems.
- Raw meat and fish: Raw meat and fish, including sushi and raw oysters, can contain both salmonella and toxoplasmosis. Pregnant women have an increased risk of getting foodborne illness from these pathogens. Foodborne illness may cause dehydration, fever, and intrauterine sepsis, a blood infection that can be deadly to the fetus.
- Raw eggs: Raw eggs can also contain salmonella. Pregnant women should avoid any foods that may contain raw eggs, such as unbaked cookie dough or homemade Caesar salad dressing.
Too much caffeine
In the lapp way as alcohol, caffeine can cross the placenta and affect the fetus. While much of the data regarding pregnancy and caffeine pulmonary tuberculosis is inconclusive, research suggests that it is best to limit the intake of caffeine to 300 milligrams ( magnesium ) per day. Some experts believe that quantities greater than this can be harmful to the fetus and may increase the risk of pregnancy loss and low parentage weight. March of Dimes recommend that fraught women consume no more than 200 milligram of caffeine per day. This amounts to about 1.5 cups of chocolate per day .
Hot tubs, saunas, and overheating
While relaxing in hot water may sound like an effective means to ease pregnancy discomfort, experts recommend avoiding hot tubs and saunas. According to the American Pregnancy Association, blistering tubs can cause hyperthermia, or abnormally high body temperature, which may lead to congenital abnormalities. extra activities that may cause the body temperature to rise excessively high admit :
- hot yoga or Pilates
- sunbathing for too long
- exposure to extreme heat
- strenuous exercise
share on PinterestParticipating in contact sports increases the risk of placental abruption. The american english College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommend that pregnant women avoid touch sports, such as football or boxing. Contact sports increase the risk of placental breaking off, which is the previous interval of the placenta from the uterine wall. placental breaking off is a dangerous condition that can cause preterm give birth, pregnancy loss, or spontaneous abortion. pregnant women are besides more prone to injury as hormonal changes in the body cause the ligaments to become lax.
Activities with a fall risk
After the first spare, meaning women should avoid any natural process which carries the risk of falling, including ski, ice-skating, and rock climb.
During pregnancy, the center of graveness shifts as the belly expands, so even a child fall may result in injuries.
Amusement park rides
many entertainment parks do not allow pregnant women on some rides, including roller coasters or any rides that may start or stop abruptly. The clash gesture of these rides can cause placental breaking off.
Changing a litter box
fraught women should avoid changing a litter box. Cleaning dirty litter boxes can put a person at gamble of toxoplasmosis. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( CDC ), if a pregnant woman passes toxoplasmosis to the fetus, the baby may develop hard symptoms, including :
- intellectual disabilities
- brain damage
- eye damage
According to the American Pregnancy Association, fraught women should avoid heavy pilfer. For some women, lifting heavy objects can increase the risk of :
- pulled muscles
- low birth weight
- preterm labor
Smoking cigarettes during pregnancy can cause harm to both the womanhood and the baby. aside from an increased risk of heart disease and lung cancer, smoking when fraught can besides cause the follow problems during and after pregnancy :
- premature birth
- congenital abnormalities, such as cleft lip or cleft palate
- sudden infant death syndrome
- issues with the placenta
Women should stop smoke a soon as they know that they are fraught and debar vulnerability to secondhand fume. Women who are struggling to quit fume can talk to a doctor about the avail and extra resources that are available .
While illegal drug use is constantly dangerous, it can be even more harmful during pregnancy. Using illegal drugs or misusing certain prescription drugs can cause a newborn to go through neonatal abstinence syndrome ( NAS ). A child with NAS will go through meaning withdrawal at parentage. additionally, drug use can increase the risk of spontaneous abortion, pregnancy personnel casualty, and congenital abnormalities .
Taking certain medications
share on PinterestAvoid most herbal remedies during pregnancy. pregnant women should avoid some nonprescription ( OTC ) and prescription drug medications while meaning, as these can harm the fetus. Doctors recommend avoiding the follow medications while fraught :
- ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- most herbal remedies
- ACE inhibitors
- some cold medications during the first trimester
- cold and flu medications that contain specific ingredients
- some acne medications
A doctor or pharmacist can provide advice on which medications are safe to use and can often recommend alternatives if women can nobelium long take their regular medicines .
Some types of exercise
Although doctors recommend that most meaning women exercise, certain types of exert are not suitable during pregnancy. meaning women should try to avoid exercise that involves :
- bouncing, leaping, and jumping
- sudden changes in direction
- jarring or jerky movements
- abdominal exercises on the back, such as situps, after the first trimester
many exercises, such as walk-to, liquid, and squats, can be beneficial during pregnancy. It is best to speak to a doctor about any existing or modern exercise routines.
meaning women can carry on with most of their normal activities a long as they take some necessary precautions. When in doubt, it is best to check with a doctor about bodily process restrictions during pregnancy. Some fraught women, peculiarly those with a higher risk of preterm labor movement or other complications, may need to restrict extra activities that this article does not list .