A colon spasm is a ad-lib and sudden contraction of the muscles in your colon. The colon is part of the large intestine. It ’ s creditworthy for shape, store, and excreting feces. colon spasms are frequently associated with irritable intestine syndrome ( IBS ). These spasms can be a sign of the zodiac or symptom of the condition. In fact, colon spasms are so common with IBS that the intestinal disorder is besides sometimes known as “ spastic colon. ” however, not everyone with IBS experiences increased motion, or intestine movements, so the term doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate apply for every person with IBS. Besides IBS, colon spasms can be the leave of other underlying health conditions or issues. Colon spasm can besides occur for no identifiable reason. A colon ’ mho muscles contract to help move feces along the lower parcel of the gastrointestinal ( GI ) tract. During a colon spasm, the muscles lining the colon tighten or contract in an unorganized direction. These contractions are frequently atrocious and obvious, while normal contractions are rarely noticeable. colon spasms can cause other symptoms in addition to the trouble. Cramping, a sudden want to use the public toilet, and bloat are common with colon spasms. What you experience may depend on what ’ s causing the spasm and how hard the spasms are.
What does a colon spasm feel like?
The severity of colon spasm symptoms can vary from person to person. here are some signs and symptoms of a colon spasm that can occur :
- Pain. Sudden severe abdominal pain, especially in the lower abdomen and on the left side, is common with colon spasms. The pain can vary in its intensity with each spasm.
- Gas or bloating. These signs may occur any time of the day, regardless of diet.
- Sudden urge to use the restroom. The muscle contractions of a colon spasm can speed up bowel movements, so when a spasm occurs, you may find you need to use the restroom quickly.
- Changes in bowel movements. Alternating between diarrhea and constipation in bowel movements can occur in people with colon spasms.
- Loose stool. The inconsistent motility may prevent your body from fully forming feces, so stool from a bowel movement may be loose.
- Mucus in stools. Clear or white mucus may appear in bowel movements if you have colon spasms. Mucus in your stool is also a symptom of IBS.
Causes of colon spasms
colon spasms are typically a symptom of an underlie health condition. IBS is the most coarse underlying health condition that can cause colon spasms. other conditions may besides cause these contractions. These include :
- ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- distended, or enlarged, colon
- trapped gas
- bacterial infection in the gut
- a bowel or intestinal obstruction
colon spasms plowshare many of the same symptoms as IBS. That ’ s why it ’ second important to make an appointment with your doctor and workplace to determine if your symptoms are the result of a spasm or caused by an fundamental condition like IBS.
Read more: ED
It ’ second unclear why colon spasm happen, even when the underlie cause is identified. IBS symptoms are made worse when you experience greater than usual stress and anxiety or when you eat high-fat foods, among other triggers. These like events may lead to colon spasms, but the connection international relations and security network ’ thyroxine wholly clear .
treatment for colon spasm is aimed at reducing the symptoms and preventing complications from the spasms. presently, there ’ s no cure or way to permanently prevent colon spasms from occurring. If you ’ ve received a diagnosis of colon spasms from your doctor, they may talk with you about these categories of colon spasm treatments :
- Manage stress. Learn to manage stress and reduce its impact on your mental and physical health when it occurs. This may help prevent future colon spasms.
- Move more. Increasing your physical activity and exercising more often may help keep your GI tract working at its best.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber adds bulk to your stool. This can reduce the chances for loose stool or alternating bowel movement consistency. Fiber is found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and legumes. Cutting back on fat may also reduce colon irritation. These changes may ease colon spasms and prevent contractions in the future.
- Limit or quit alcohol and tobacco. Both of these products can interfere with healthy GI function, so cutting back or eliminating them entirely may help stop future spasms.
- Anti-diarrheal medication. Both over-the-counter and prescription anti-diarrheal medication may help ease some symptoms of colon spasms and stop diarrhea.
- Antispasmodic medication. These medications are designed to calm muscles and reduce the severe contractions from colon spasms.
Shop for anti-diarrheal medication.
Complications and when to see your doctor
Colon spasm may be severe one time and barely noticeable the following meter. It ’ second indecipherable why they vary in asperity, but they ’ re rarely a sign of a serious trouble. The entirely time you might need to seek immediate aesculapian attention if you have a colon spasm is if you ’ ra showing signs of a intestine or intestinal obstruction. Symptoms of an obstruction include :
- severe stomach or abdominal pain
- inability to pass stool
Fluid and stool buildup in your intestines can be a dangerous condition if it ’ s not treated by rights and cursorily. however, if you ’ rhenium experiencing frequent colon spasms or early symptoms, check in with your doctor. They can look for a potential explanation. If a diagnosis is made, you and your doctor can begin treatment that will hopefully prevent future spasms. If the spasm continue, you and your doctor can create a plan for handling any side effects of the spasm.
What’s the outlook?
colon spasms are common. They ’ re frequently associated with IBS, but they can besides occur without any underlying reason. They may cause impermanent pain or discomfort, but they ’ re rarely a cause for concern. Working with your doctor can help you identify any health issues that may be causing the spasm. You can besides find a discussion that may help prevent the spasms or reduce the complications that come from some symptoms .