WHEN SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT…
Peyronie’s Disease: What Is It & How Is It Treated?
Peyronie ‘s disease. It might be an uncomfortable topic to talk about, but we ‘re discussing it because it ‘s literally uncomfortable .
“ While the cause of Peyronie ‘s disease is n’t wholly clear, the solution is — a atrocious, swerve erection that much leads to discomfort during arouse, equally well as stress and anxiety about sex. It ‘s one of the most underdiagnosed sexual issues that men face, but Peyronie ‘s disease is worth discussing since it typically does n’t go aside on its own, ” says Dr. Nathan Starke, urologist specializing in men ‘s health at Houston Methodist.
Most importantly, Dr. Starke points out that there are treatments available that can prevent it from getting worse — and tied improve symptoms in about all cases .
What is Peyronie’s disease?
“ Peyronie ‘s disease is the condition for scar tissue formation involving the erection chambers underneath the skin of the penis, which ultimately affects the march of forming an erection, ” says Dr. Starke. “ As lineage flows to the penis during an erecting, any scar weave that ‘s present interferes with how it hardens. This can cause a deflect or another shape that can be torment and even afflictive, ” explains Dr. Starke .
The symptoms of Peyronie ‘s disease admit :
- A buildup of scar tissue under the skin of the penis, which can feel like a hard, flat nodule
- Severe bending of the penis, either upward, downward or towards one side, especially with an erection
- Problems forming or maintaining an erection
- Experiencing painful erections
- Shrinkage or shortening of the penis or other changes, such as narrowing or a bottleneck shape
“ It ‘s crucial to note that penises vary in condition and size. Having a crook penis or detect shrinkage does n’t mean you have Peyronie ‘s disease, but if you notice either in combination with one or more of the symptoms above, it ‘s meter to speak to a men ‘s health urologic specialist, ” adds Dr. Starke .
Why does Peyronie’s disease occur?
As mentioned, the claim cause of Peyronie ‘s disease is nameless, but a few risk factors have been identified, including :
- Experiencing trauma or repeated injury to the penis, such as during sexual activity or an accident
- Increasing age, since minor injuries may be slower to heal in older men
- Having Dupuytren’s contracture, a connective tissue disorder of the hands
There ‘s besides evidence that some men may have a familial predisposition to developing Peyronie ‘s disease. If another man in your family has this stipulate, you may have a higher risk of developing it yourself — but it ‘s not a guarantee.
“ In most cases, it ‘s thought that Peyronie ‘s disease is caused by repetitive microtrauma to the penis over time, but often a man does n’t recall any specific exemplify of an wound occur, ” says Dr. Starke .
How is Peyronie’s disease treated?
intelligibly, the most important motion you have is : Will Peyronie ‘s disease go away ?
“ In some cases, the bend and pain associated with Peyronie ‘s disease can improve on its own — but not always. This is typically a disease that, untreated, remains the lapp or might evening get worse over time, ” says Dr. Starke. “ The beneficial news, though, is that there are treatment options available. The earlier you seek treatment, the likelier you are to see improvement in your symptoms. treatment can besides help prevent your condition from progressing. ”
Peyronie ‘s disease discussion options include :
- Penile traction therapy – a device worn anywhere between 30 minutes to several hours a day that can improve curvature and correct deformity — when used in the early phase of this condition
- Injectable medications – there is only one FDA-approved medication for Peyronie’s treatment, called Xiaflex (collagenase clostridium histolyticum), which is delivered in a series of injections in the office over a period of months. The collagenase breaks down the scar tissue, helping to improve pain and reduce curvature
- Surgery – various procedures are available, and represent the “gold standard” of Peyronie’s treatment. However, which procedure(s) are preferred varies depending on the individual man’s situation
- Watchful waiting – your doctor may recommend using a wait-and-see approach to help determine which treatment option will be most effective for your specific symptoms and condition, particularly in the later phases of this condition
The most effective treatment design for Peyronie ‘s disease varies depending on whether you are earlier or later in the disease class. Your sophisticate will help you understand which options are available and probable to provide you the most benefit.
And you credibly have one concluding doubt : Who treats Peyronie ‘s disease ?
“ even if your symptoms of Peyronie ‘s disease seem manageable for the time being, it ‘s important to see a urologist speciate in men ‘s health, ” adds Dr. Starke. “ Over clock, this condition can result in more than just a atrocious erecting. For case, it can impact your self-esteem, causal agent try in your kinship and tied impact your ability to father a child. A doctor of the church who specializes in both urology and men ‘s health can help you find the most effective, advance treatment option that ‘s proper for you. And, remember, the sooner you start treatment, the better, ” adds Dr. Starke .
- Learn about Houston Methodist’s Men’s Health Center, which offers comprehensive, confidential care for men who have Peyronie’s disease.