What are the top twenty-five biological functions of the mouth ?
1. Nasal Breathing. Nasal ( Nose ) Breathing, the first arrangement, depends upon a well-grown upper palate or upper jaw and palatal bones. Our oropharynx is significant because nasal breathing actually ionizes the air we breathe. The paranasal sinuses besides add azotic oxide to our atmosphere as it passes to our lungs, which helps with our heart and our metamorphosis. Most of our breathe should be via the nose for this cause angstrom well as their condition and the cleansing effect of adenoidal pass. ad
2. Mouth Breathing is an alternate to nasal breathing. We are not supposed to mouth breath all the clock. Breathing good is dependant on chew and tongue position since the front half of our by and large muscular air lane is the spit. If your lower chew the fat is retruded or you bite excessively deeply then you might snore, or have a tendency to clench your jaw muscles while you sleep. This mouth breathe is second best and snoring is not far behind. Mouth breathers probably have more infections than nose breathers. Remember the pneumonia that kills honest-to-god people normally comes from mouth breathe and inhale or aspirating mouth organisms while sleeping and snoring .
3. Suckling for Breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is the number one health, prosperity and happiness bill officiate that we humans can partake in at parturition. not breastfeeding and not supporting breastfeed is “ wrong thinking ” in life, in politics, in our economy and in advanced medicate and modern dentistry. All breastfeeding mothers should have a tax tax write-off and a thank you note from their dentists. Plus, a fiscal incentive to continue breast-feeding from their government. This would recognize that breastfeed is the number one health measure for newborns to grow and prosper. This pays off in the long run as an investing in contraceptive medicate. Every national government and the World Health Organization should pass a resolution that Breastfeeding is a birthright of all infants .
4. Swallowing lubricates our digestive tract and allows us to consume food unless we want a life on an IV drip. The tongue is not a simpleton one-nerve muscle. The tongue is actually a specialize organ arrangement powered by the five key cranial nerves of our basic embryonic developmental arches. Our incredible tongue–hyoid cram system is what drives swallowing and speech. Did you know that until about 6 months of age the human baby could both breathe through its nose and swallow through its throat to breastfeed at the same time ?
5. Tongue-Powered Speech. output of different lecture sounds depends upon our almighty Tongue, which is powered by all five developmental nerves and is uniquely homo in its construction and ability to produce manner of speaking sounds along with the unique airline of humans. Speech is just thought in action .
6. Assist balance, vision and hearing. Without a healthy tongue, trigeminal boldness system and healthy call on the carpet, we can lose our symmetry and we can fail to walk in a straight note. Got a balance problem ? Visit a dentist ! Our ears are our remainder and earshot organs, and they are well tied to our chew the fat. The upper berth lower jaw supports our eyeballs and if it does not in full develop ( as is often today the case ) this puts tune on the eyeball and all the supporting muscles. Dr Harold Arlen was a potent advocate of medical-dental cooperation as he wrote in his article The Otomandibular Syndrome. Speaking about the connection between the Tensor Veli Palatini ( TVP ) brawn, the jaw, stodgy ears or hearing loss and the Trigeminal steel says this, “ The TVP is the only brawn of the soft palate innervated by the Trigeminal heart and the only muscle that functions to open the Eustachian metro. This is the key to the relationship between the call on the carpet and auricle dysfunction that is plaguing modern man, along with the deterioration of other parts of the jaw and the dental apparatus. ”
7. Posture. Man evolved painfully over millions of years to become an raise hominid. today we are losing our tumid pose and becoming bent forward with scoliosis, twisted spines and wrynecks. If the chew the fat is excessively far back or besides deep, then that person tends to have a fore principal position. This is a genius compensation to preserve the airline since oxygen is the brain ’ s number one food. The modern human form is degenerating because our diet and life style has changed for the worse. We are excessively connected to sugars and electronic devices. The number one symptom of poor jaw growth, position and routine, a huffy neck or a headache .
8. good Sinus Drainage. If the palate fails to grow to the dimensions in our genetic blueprint then our sinuses will not drain well .
9. Resisiting Inflammations and Infection. resistance to microbial diseases of the mouth or resisting systemic Illness, Inflammation and Infection in cosmopolitan. Sir William Osler said, “ The Mouth is the Mirror of all Disease. ” Further some experts have suggested up to 85 % of all ailments in humans start via the oral road. Dr. Charles Mayo thought highly of oral care as well : “ Dentistry is a distinctive health servicing and can extend human animation ten years. ”
10. Record our Mineral Density, which tells us about our mineral Deficiencies. Teeth are the most mineral dense structures in our bodies ; well, they used to be that way ! The concentration of trace minerals in our baby teeth and pornographic teeth is a unique biological phenomenon. We should be using it more in medical diagnosis. nowadays dirt depletion means we are getting lone a small percentage of the trace minerals that our great grandparents did from eating the same food. LINUS PAULING SAID BEHIND EVERY DISEASE THERE IS A TRACE MINERAL DEFICIENCY ! I predict the next 10 years in aesculapian tonic nutrition all the talk will be about trace mineral deficiencies and enzymes. Enzymes are needed to incorporate minerals into our osteogenesis metabolism .
11. Mastication or Chewing Food. This is enjoyed by all of us every day. however, Life continues if there are no tooth award, as any denture wearer will tell you. Anyone can drink a k smoothes with no tooth and our diet by and large is getting softer and softer all the time. far, the “ All on Four ” plant program is making chew possible when you have no tooth .
12. Spit and sprinkle is an important routine of the mouth. Spit is full of mighty natural bacteria killing neutrophil. This is why dogs and cats lick their wounds. Spit helps digest food and all the cups and cups spit we produce and accept every day helps lubricates our digestive system. Spit contributes beneficial and bad bacteria to our micro biome .
13. Mouth Digestion starts with the mouth enzymes to begin digestion. Our mouthpiece produces many enzymes to begin the serve of digestion, amylases for carbohydrates lipases to start fat digestion and other enzymes emanate from our salivary glands. Saliva lubricates the wholly digestive tract. Mouth organism get swallowed and contribute to our Micro biome. Some enzymes like lysozymes are there equitable to attack foreign bacteria that get into our mouths on our foods. The rationale behind chewing your food slowly is to stimulate more digestive enzymes to enhance food digestion and minimize indigestion .
14. Singing is a specialized shape of expressing ourselves with our voice. Singing involves not merely the mouth and the song cords but the chest and our breathe system and even our sinuses and Eustachian tubes all interact. obviously singing is uniquely a homo phenomenon. We can all sing and some of us identical badly. And yodel, well that is special ? even Humming deserves an ethical citation .
15. Whistling this is american samoa close to a shuttlecock predict that humans can get. respective popular songs over the years have featured whistle and one you might enjoy is the song. “ Don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate Worry, Be Happy. ” By Bobby McFerrin it is on YouTube .
16. Coughing function. Coughing is a critical function to clear your throat or lungs of organisms or debris that should not be there. We have all had bouts of coughing from respiratory illnesses and the cough is an expectorating function that makes us feel estimable. Coughing can besides be a sign of GERD and irritation of the trachea with digest acids. There is a great deviation clinically between short term cough and chronic cough .
17. Ideally, the first epigenetic serve of the call on the carpet is to have the jaw and tooth grow so fully and perfectly that there is no need for fillings, orthodontics or wisdom tooth removals. The spit works in utero on the three embryonic plates of the forming palate to help grow the future palate. The small median plate becomes the premaxilla or rugae sphere or the milk pad spot for breastfeed and houses the incisive section of the moment division of the trigeminal boldness while the lateral palatine plates start out vertically like stacked shelves then that the natural language turns them to become the body of the palate and to allow them to fuse with the nasomedial plate to grow the palate forward and laterally. All this palatal development happens about 8 to 9 weeks of senesce. then the tongue continues to grow the palate to be more forward and wider up to our birth and even after we are born. indeed, the function of the clapper and the physiologic swallow is to be the master architect of the emergence of the palate by touching the ruga area just behind the battlefront tooth .
ideally all dentists should work together to create better grow palates or a better next generation of children called “ Paleo-Moderns ”. The key to this is super nutriment and bone broth bone marrow and fishmeal supplements as used by the celebrated Swedish research worker Dr. Alfred Aaslander. His brilliant concept of Complete Tooth Nutrition was published in the Journal of Applied Nutrition and promptly forgotten. To create the best tooth and jaw growth possible we need an abundant and brace provision of trace minerals and enzymes and all-important oils beside the standard vitamins and amino acids. An Ontario yield dentist Dr. Westin Price besides wrote about the Paleo diet and said we have lost facial dimension. The late orthodontist Robert Rubin told me this like concept in a call interview when I was a dental editor for Medifacts/Dentafacts. He said we should start excellent supplemented nutrition one year before the child is conceived for both parents and continue through the pregnancy and until the child reaches puberty and beyond. All our ancestors had this type of full facial and wide palatal blueprint expression and thus needed no wisdom teeth removals, they needed no orthodontics and due to high tracing mineral intake they had no cavities. however, periodontic disease is a different report since periodontic diseases were apparent in the egyptian mummies and many other ancient human remains global. Our challenge is to create “ Paleo-Moderns ”. In 2002, the AMA stated that ( due to soil depletion ) we should wholly be taking multivitamin supplements. You need all the nutritional components to build a perfect homo .
18. Laughter is valuable and uniquely homo serve. We recommend you Google TED talks and read about laughter from the experts. They say it well with humour and candor. By the way, do you calm miss Robin Williams like me and my friends do ?
19. Vomiting when needed. This can be a life saving manoeuver.
20. Kissing and all the romantic potential of our mouths is another big mouth function. A 30-second kiss means a spit and bacteria exchange of epic poem proportions but cipher listens .
21. Stereognosis. This is the haptic exploration by the neonate baby of the world by haptic exploration with its tongue and lips .
22. Mandibular Startle Reflex No matters what separate of your body is hurt or shocked you will have a mandibular Startle Reflex and sometimes a song one. This is an natural officiate .
23. Act as adept Skin. Skin is our biggest electric organ organization and gum diseases are dermatologic or clamber diseases under another identify. A dermatologist once told me that the purpose of skin is to keep the lineage in and the bugs out. Dentists treat chronic and acute skin-gum infections and should talk at every dermatologic league in the world on periodontic infections and their local and systemic implications .
24. The Electrical Control Coordinator for the whole body .
Dr. Henry Ulhlemeyer was a very intelligent Ears, Nose, and Throat specialist who believed very powerfully in physiologic call on the carpet balancing for maximizing your overall health. Dr. Henry Ulhlemeyer said, “ If the lower jaw is not physiologically positioned all stress hormones are automatically stimulated, all muscles tense, lineage pressure rises to overcome resistance. Pulse quickens, respiration is shallow and loses efficiency. The body raises it blood carbohydrate to fuel this hand brake, releases epinephrine and increases the annoyance threshold. The gastrointestinal tract responds acutely… ”
He then went on to say that the full operation of the lower jaw was a key component in the basic concept of Integrative Medicine. “ In my opinion the lower jaw is the electrical control coordinator for the whole body i.e. ( in combination with the total chew mechanism of teeth, periodontic tissues, and brawny assembly through feedback to the brain ). The lower jaw and all its associated muscles in proper physiologic relationship allow the body to relax refresh and replenish expended energies. The lower jaw has to be in a physiologically balanced kinship to make the total body employment as one balanced unit. ”
25. Facial Expression. The smile has intrinsic and extrinsic value to all humans. socially we would never post a bad smile on Facebook or send a poor facial formulation out to friends when we want to positively represent our lives. The psychological confidence and the power of a good smile are not to be underestimate. Dr. Edward Angle said, “ It is not enough to correct the malpositions of the dentition in one arch, but besides to establish the chastise occluded front of all the tooth and restore facial expression. ”
In drumhead, Archaeologists and Anthropologists know that the human faces are shrinking but they do not know why .
actually palates and noses are getting measurably narrower this in go causes maxilla –mandibular-airway dysfunction and besides causes postural and airline distress .
This quote from Dr John Diamond tells us why your palate is important. We as dentist have to figure out why this is happening. Westin Price wrote a solid bible on Nutrition and Physical Degeneration and he left us some clues ! ! Dr. Alfred Aaslander, a swedish biochemist, who suffered from across-the-board tooth decay as a child, wrote about “ Complete Tooth Nutrition ” using bone meal for its decipher mineral subject over 50 years ago in the Journal of Applied Nutrition vol17 no4 1964. He applied the principles of trace mineral supplementation to his children and he raised kids with NO CAVITIES AND GOOD ARCHES ! !
Dr. John Diamond stated this about the Maxilla or our palates.
“ One of the greatest gifts a child can receive from his mother is a grammatical palatal arch. But it is doubtful whether any of us has ever even seen a convention arch because it may well be that only primitive valet on his alleged primitive diet has a truly normal arch. With such an arch the follow benefits are conferred :
- There will be minimal occlusal problems.
- The tongue is most likely to be in the normal position against the rugae with all the benefits incurred therefrom.
- Three of the structures most to do with centering and balancing the body in space will most likely be free to function normally – the spenoid bone, hyoid bone and temporomandibular joint.
- There will be an accompanying development of the lateral aspects of the face – especially of the malar and zygoma bones, rendering it very easy for the patient to smile.
- Normal development and stimulation of the pituitary will be facilitated.
- There will be overall health and well being of the child.”
Dr Diamond is in my opinion one of the smartest MD ’ s that north American Medical schools have ever produced. We all ( doctors, dentists and osteopaths ) should study his books and his life of teachings and writings .
Here is Dr. Price’s quote:
“ The most indelible impression left by my investigations among primitive races is that which came from examining 1276 skulls of ( peruvian ). People who had been buried hundreds of years ago without finding a single skull with the distinctive marked tapered of the confront and dental arches. That afflicts a considerable proportion. Of the residents in modernize Peru…. the United States…. and many communities of Europe today. I know of no problem so important to our advanced civilization as the find of the reason for this, and the elimination of the cause… Few will recognize the meaning of this important point. ”
This last prison term sums up his life ’ second work. “ Few will recognize the meaning of this. ” Yes our faces are shrinking and we are forgetful to this major health trouble. It is important that every family know this fact. The homo face is shrinking ! We should all know why it is shrinking and how to reverse this diseased drift. The key to reversing this is to keep our natural natural language to palate swallow, use no artificial nipples, intake more trace minerals and enzymes and probiotics in our diet through more veggies, more fruits, more bone marrow, more bone broth soups and of run more breastfeed for our babies .
Dr. Charles Mayo is quoted as saying:
“ Dentistry is a classifiable health overhaul and can extend human life sentence ten years. ”
Another famous teaching MD, Sir William Osler said:
“ The Mouth is the Mirror of all disease ” .
Oral Health welcomes this original article.
About the Author
Dr. George Paul Greenacre, General Dentist D.D.S. ( Doctor of Dental Surgery ) Downtown Orthodontics, Ottawa ON Canada — Dr. George Paul Greenacre graduated from McGill University. He has served as a dental editor for nine years of his career. Fifteen percentage of dentists have earned one company. Dr. Greenacre has earned four fellowships and is working on three more in between his four ice hockey games per week and working on his several east books in process. His agency theme is “ bright dentistry for ache families. ”
RELATED ARTICLE: The Importance of Breastfeeding
Follow the Oral Health Group on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for the latest updates on newsworthiness, clinical articles, practice management and more !