contribution on PinterestAn infection is a possible cause of left kidney pain. not drinking enough water can cause kidney annoyance. If a person is dehydrated, waste can build up in the kidneys and cause a blockage .
Symptoms of dangerous dehydration can include :
- mood changes
- unclear thinking
The standard treatment for dehydration is to drink more fluent. In severe cases, a person may need intravenous fluids in regulate to rehydrate. Learn more about dehydration here .
If bacteria get into the leave kidney, they can cause an infection. Bacteria can enter the kidney from the urinary tract. In especial, an untreated urinary nerve pathway contagion ( UTI ) can travel into the left kidney .
Some coarse symptoms of left kidney trouble due to an infection admit :
- dull ache
- sharp pain
- bad smelling or cloudy urine
- burning or pain during urination
- blood or pus in urine
- chills or fever
- pain in back or groin area
A person should seek medical advice if they have any of the above symptoms. In most cases, a sophisticate will take a urine sample distribution to test what type of infection a person has. Doctors normally treat kidney infections with antibiotics. In more severe cases, a person may need to go to the hospital to receive intravenous antibiotics and fluids. Learn more about kidney infections here.
Kidney stones occur when salts and minerals build up in the kidneys and form small deposits. These stones can get bigger with fourth dimension .
Smaller kidney stones normally pass from the kidneys and do not cause symptoms. Larger kidney stones can cause discomfort when they move through the urinary tract from the kidneys to the bladder and can besides get stuck in the kidney. They can cause symptoms such as :
- blood in the urine
- pain during urination
- sharp pain in the back or abdomen
The usual discussion for kidney stones involves drinking fluids to pass the stone and taking over-the-counter ( OTC ) pain medication. For larger kidney stones, a doctor may recommend one of the follow treatments :
- Shock wave lithotripsy: Shock waves break up the kidney stones.
- Ureteroscopy: A tool called a ureteroscope allows a doctor to see kidney stones and sometimes remove small ones as they retrieve the scope from the body.
- Medications: Specific medications help dissolve the stone.
Learn more about kidney stones hera .
Cysts in the kidney
Benign, or noncancerous, cysts are fluid-filled sauk. They can form in one or both kidneys and do not normally cause symptoms .
If a cyst gets besides bad, bursts, or become infect, it can cause kidney pain and symptoms, including :
- dull pain in the upper abdomen, side or back
- tenderness or sharp pain
small cysts do not normally require treatment. If discussion is necessary, the options include :
- Sclerotherapy: A doctor uses a long needle to drain the cyst before applying alcohol to the cyst to harden it.
- Laparoscopy: A surgeon removes the cyst using a tool called a laparoscope.
Learn more about kidney cysts here.
Polycystic kidney disease
Polycystic kidney disease ( PKD ) is a familial stipulate that causes several cysts to form in one or both kidneys. PKD can alter the form of the kidneys and can lead to kidney failure or other issues .
Symptoms include :
- high blood pressure
- blood in urine
- pain in one or both kidneys
- kidney stones
A person may not notice symptoms until the PKD cysts are big .
treatment for PKD typically involves taking medicine to slow kidney wrong that high blood coerce causes.
Read more: Nephrotic syndrome in children
early recommendations include making life style changes, such as :
- quitting or not taking up smoke
- exercising or doing physical activities for at least 30 minutes a day
- getting between 7 and 8 hours of sleep each night
- eating a healthful, balanced diet
- reducing stress
- losing weight if overweight or maintaining a healthy weight
Learn more about PKD hera.
Glomerulonephritis is a group of diseases that can cause kidney ignition and damage the glomerulus, which filters blood. If damage occurs to the kidneys, they work less efficaciously and can finally lead to kidney failure. There are two types of glomerulonephritis : acute and chronic .
Acute glomerulonephritis occurs suddenly and can accompany infections, such as streptococcal throat. Symptoms include :
- blood in urine
- puffy face in the morning
- less frequent urination
Chronic glomerulonephritis develops lento and may be the result of changes in the immune arrangement or unknown causes. Symptoms include :
- high blood pressure
- blood in urine
- frequent urination at night
- swelling in ankles or face
- bubbly or foamy urine
Acute glomerulonephritis may clear up on its own. If it does not, a doctor may recommend medications to help weaken the immune system. They may besides recommend draining the kidneys of extra fluid. For chronic glomerulonephritis, discussion options include :
- keeping blood pressure under control
- taking calcium pills
- using diuretics
- avoiding eating extra protein, potassium, and salt
Learn more about glomerulonephritis here.
hydronephrosis is a condition that causes a buildup of urine in the kidneys. It happens when an obstacle in the urinary tract prevents urine from in full draining from the kidneys. hydronephrosis is frequently the resultant role of an infection or blockage, such as a kidney stone .
The condition may or may not cause symptoms. The independent symptom is pain, which may be in the side of the back or the breakwater. other symptoms include :
- inability to fully drain the bladder
- increased urge to urinate
In most cases, a doctor must treat a person ’ s underlying condition first gear so the kidneys can drain. In some cases, a repair may need to remove the excessive urine. Learn more about hydronephrosis hera.
Atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis
atherosclerotic nephritic artery stenosis ( RAS ) is when fatso deposits parry or restrict blood vessels that lead to the kidneys. If a person does not receive treatment, the condition can cause price to the kidneys, brain, and heart .
Symptoms of RAS include :
- sudden development of high blood pressure, particularly after 55 years of age
- unresponsive blood pressure when three or more medications do not help
- kidney failure due to an unknown cause
- sudden kidney failure following first use of an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor
- quick buildup of liquid in the lungs
- more waste, or urea, from the liver in the blood
The treatment for RAS may involve a combination of life style changes and medicine to address a person ’ s overall cardiovascular health.
When to see a doctor
A person should see a doctor if they have frequent or intense annoyance on their left field side. They should besides consult a doctor if other symptoms accompany the annoyance, such as fever or dizziness. such symptoms can be a signboard of an underlie health stipulate that needs address .
A doctor will ask several questions about the symptoms, when they occur, and asperity of the annoyance. They will besides perform a physical examination to assess both a person ’ s general health and the horizontal surface of pain or tenderness in the back. A doctor may besides holy order respective tests or imaging tests to determine the campaign of the left kidney pain, including :
- a blood test
- a urine test
- an ultrasound of the kidney
Read more: Gastritis – Symptoms and causes
Left kidney pain can occur for a kind of reasons. People must talk to a doctor if they experience frequent or acuate pain or if they have other extra symptoms. A doctor can help determine the underlie cause of forget kidney pain and provide specific treatment .