The Health Benefits of Water
Water makes up over 60 percentage of your body weight, and every cell, weave and organ in your body needs body of water to function by rights .
“ Water is necessity for both keeping your body hydrated and helping your torso to perform authoritative functions casual. Drinking enough water ensures that your torso has what it needs to clean out toxins in your system and maintain adequate blood pressure, ” says Dr. Deborah Dergan, a class practice doctor at University Health System .
Water besides helps your body :
- Maintain a normal temperature
- Lubricate and cushion joints
- Get rid of waste through urination, perspiration and bowel movements
- Boost skin health
When you don ’ triiodothyronine drink adequate body of water it can lead to dehydration – a discipline where the body doesn ’ t have adequate water to carry out its normal functions .
The Dangers of Dehydration
Anyone can become dehydrate, but the condition can be more severe and can occur faster in the aged and very young. by and large, dehydration occurs because you have not had enough body of water over a certain period to maintain the body ’ s want .
other factors that can contribute to dehydration include :
- Exercise – Any activity that causes you to sweat can result in the loss of too much fluid from your body.
- Heat – If you live in a hotter climate (like San Antonio) it’s important to drink more water since you’re more likely to perspire.
- Pregnancy/breast-feeding – Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding need more water to support the baby as well as lactation.
- Illness – If you have a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea, it’s important to drink more water to replace the loss of fluids from being sick.
- Medications – Certain medications can cause frequent urination or sweating, which can lead to dehydration.
So, how do you know if you’re dehydrated?
Some common symptoms of dehydration include :
- Dry mouth
- Feeling very thirsty
- Dry skin
- Dark-colored urine
dehydration can make you feel ill and, if not treated by rights and promptly, can sometimes tied be life-threating .
Keep Healthy by Staying Hydrated
You ’ ve probably heard that you need at least 6-8 cups ( 48-64 oz ) of water every day to stay hydrated, which is true in general for most people. however, water needs vary depending on the individual ampere well as certain other factors. If your fitness floor is high or your subcontract is physically demand, for model, you need to consume more than the average recommendation of 6-8 cups per day. To avoid becoming dehydrated, it ’ mho best to drink batch of fluids–as much as 2-3 cups per hour–unless you are exercising or external in the heat, then you ’ ll need to consume more .
“ An easy way to determine if you need to drink more body of water is to look at the color of your urine, ” Dr. Dergan says. “ If you aren ’ t getting enough water, your urine will be very iniquity in semblance. When you are drinking plenty of water, your urine will be clear in appearance. ”
Though water is the most important way to get your daily fluid intake, you can besides get the fluids you need from juices, herbal tea, and even water-rich foods like watermelon and spinach .
It ’ mho besides crucial to remember that if you experience any severe signs of dehydration, including confusion, bally or black fecal matter, or extreme tire or sleepiness, seek medical aid immediately to avoid severe complications or illness .
University Health System is dedicated to providing the best comprehensive checkup care for all your health needs. For more information, contact us at 210-358-4000 .