read time : 4 minutes
What to know about how much to eat while pregnant
- How many additional calories are needed to meet pregnancy weight gain guidelines
- The benefits of meeting your calorie and nutrient needs during pregnancy
- Easy snack and meal ideas to meet your increased calorie needs
Growing a baby is hard work, and your body needs adequate calories and nutrients to do the job well. A nutrient-rich diet during pregnancy is associated with improved fetal health and a healthy birth weight unit. 1 Most women have a suggested weight profit of about 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. 1, 2 While this seems like a lot, you actually don ’ t need to eat that a lot more than normal to meet this healthy weight advance !
What does it mean to “eat for two?”
It may be tempting to follow the old proverb and “ eat for two, ” but keep in mind that the fetus is identical minor during the pregnancy period and corrode twice your normal come is not necessary. 3 alternatively, focus on “ think for two. ” Pay more attention to filling your diet with quality, nutrient-packed foods to help meet you and your child ’ south increased vitamins and minerals needs. 4 In fact, extra calories aren ’ t even needed in the first trimester. 3
Read more : goodly Weight Gain in Pregnancy and Why It ’ south dependable
How many calories do I need while pregnant?
- If you were a healthy weight before you became pregnant, you will need about 340 additional calories per day starting in your second trimester and about 450 additional calories per day during your third trimester.
- If you were under- or over-weight prior to getting pregnant, those numbers will go up or down accordingly.
- Women carrying twins should consume about 600 extra calories a day.
- Women carrying triplets should take in about 900 extra calories a day.5,6,7
Gaining the good total of system of weights can help decrease risks of pregnancy complications and offers lasting benefits for you and your baby. 8, 9
Read more : Managing Weight Gain during a multiple pregnancy
Nutritious meal and snack ideas during pregnancy
First trimester: Focus on nutrient density
What do all of these numbers mean in terms of how much you should eat ? Well in the first spare, continue to eat the same amount of food as before you became meaning, with a special focus on eating high choice, nutrient-dense foods. With you and your baby ’ s nutrient needs increasing, a well-adjusted diet is significant. 10, 11
Think about packing your day with hale, minimally processed foods – fruits, vegetables, wholly grains, healthy fats, proteins, beans, low fat dairy, nuts and seeds. 10, 11
Remember, your thermal needs do not increase during the inaugural trimester ( unless you ’ re carrying more than one baby ). 7
Read more : winder Nutrients to Support a Healthy pregnancy
Read more : meal plan to Manage Morning Sickness
Second trimester: Follow your increasing hunger cues
In the moment trimester, your appetite is likely increasing and you should start adding about 340 calories to your daily diet. 7
This might sound like a batch, but 340 calories does not equate to identical much extra food. In fact, you may find that increasing your food intake by this amount happens naturally by good responding to your hunger cues. You can incorporate more calories by slenderly increasing the size of your meals or adding an extra timbre nosh .
Here are healthful snack and meal ideas that will add about 340 calories to your daily diet:
- String cheese with whole grain crackers and an apple or serving of grapes
- 2 whole grain rice cakes with 2 tablespoons nut butter and banana slices on top (optional: sprinkle of cinnamon)
- ½ an avocado mashed on a whole grain English muffin with 1 sliced hard-boiled egg on top
- ½ cup trail mix
- 6oz low-fat plain Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons peanut butter (or chopped walnuts) and blueberries mixed in
- 2 scrambled eggs with cheese on a piece of 100% whole grain toast with sliced tomato
Need help with quick and goodly meal ideas ? Come chat with our team of register dietitians, boyfriend moms, and suckling specialists, available from Monday – Friday 8 am – 8 prime minister ( EST ) and Saturday – Sunday 8 am – 4 promethium ( EST ). Chat now !
Read more : meal plan : identify Nutrients of pregnancy
Third trimester: Lots of growth for baby and increased calories for you
In your third trimester, add around 450 calories to your day by day diet. 5
You may find that it ’ second becoming difficult to eat american samoa much as you used to in one sitting due to your quickly growing baby. Enjoy small, frequent meals or add in extra snacks to keep yourself comfortable while continuing to get all of the nutrients you and your baby motivation .
Here are some nutritious snack and meal ideas to add 450 calories to your diet:
- ½ cup trail mix with 1 cup of unsweetened yogurt (or non-dairy yogurt)
- 1 sweet potato with ½ cup black beans, ¼ avocado, melted cheese and salsa
- A peanut butter (or other nut butter) and banana sandwich made with 1 banana, 2 tablespoons nut butter and 2 slices 100% whole grain bread
- Turkey sandwich with 2 ounces turkey from a roasted turkey or turkey breast, 1 slice of cheese and two slices of 100% whole grain bread
Read more : healthy Snacks for Pregnant Women
Should I track my calories?
Nope ! angstrom long as your weight is on cut, it is not necessary to track accurate calories. alternatively, increase the total of food you eat slenderly in the second base and third trimesters by responding to your crave and comprehensiveness cues .
If you have any concerns about your weight amplification or how a lot you ’ ra eat, speak to your health wish supplier. These calorie recommendations are general guidelines, but you may need to eat more or less depending on your specific situation .
Learn about : Foods and Ingredients to Avoid While Pregnant
We know parenting often means insomniac nights, nerve-racking days, and countless questions and confusion, and we want to support you in your feed journey and beyond .
Our happy Baby Experts are a team of lactation consultants and registered dietitians certified in baby and enate nutriment – and they ’ re all moms, excessively, which means they ’ ve been there and seen that. They ’ ra here to help on our dislodge, hot old world chat platform Monday – Friday 8am-8pm ( EST ), and Saturday – Sunday 8am-4pm ( EST ). Chat now !
Read more about the experts that help write our content !
For more on this topic check out the following articles:
healthy Snacks During Pregnancy
healthy Weight Gain in Pregnancy and Why it ’ mho effective
Meal plan for Increasing unharmed Grains
How to Include More Beans/Legumes in Your diet
Food Safety During Pregnancy
taste Imprinting While Pregnant and Breastfeeding
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Weight Gain During Pregnancy. Date accessed 21 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pregnancy-weight-gain.htm # weight
2. Medline Plus. Eating right during pregnancy. Date accessed 21 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000584.htm
3. american english College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Nutrition During Pregnancy. Accessed 26 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/nutrition-during-pregnancy
4. Institute of Medicine ( US ) Committee on Nutritional Status During Pregnancy and Lactation. Nutrition During Pregnancy : separate I Weight profit : Part II Nutrient Supplements. Washington ( DC ) : National Academies Press ( US ) ; 1990. 13, Dietary Intake During Pregnancy. available from : hypertext transfer protocol : //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235252/
5. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Healthy Weight during Pregnancy. EatRight.org. Date accessed 21 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.eatright.org/health/pregnancy/prenatal-wellness/healthy-weight-during-pregnancy
6. Institute of Medicine ( US ) Committee on Nutritional Status During Pregnancy and Lactation. Nutrition During Pregnancy : contribution I Weight profit : Part II Nutrient Supplements. Washington ( DC ) : National Academies Press ( US ) ; 1990. 7, Energy Requirements, Energy Intake, and Associated Weight Gain during Pregnancy. available from : hypertext transfer protocol : //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235247/
7. american College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Nutrition During Pregnancy. Date accessed 21 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/nutrition-during-pregnancy
8. office on Women ’ s Health. Weight, birthrate, and pregnancy. Date accessed 21 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.womenshealth.gov/healthy-weight/weight-fertility-and-pregnancy
9. The thermal cost of pregnancy. Nutr Rev. 1973 ; 31 ( 6 ) :177-179. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.1973.tb05170.x. hypertext transfer protocol : //pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/4581116/
10. Mousa A, Naqash A, Lim S. Macronutrient and Micronutrient Intake during Pregnancy : An overview of holocene Evidence. Nutrients. 2019 ; 11 ( 2 ) :443. Published 2019 Feb 20. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413112/
11. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Eating Right During Pregnancy. EatRight.org. Revised April 2021. Accessed 27 October 2021. hypertext transfer protocol : //www.eatright.org/health/pregnancy/what-to-eat-when-expecting/eating-right-during-pregnancy
Read more: ED