periodic heartburn that responds to at-home treatment is normally nothing to worry about. But if you consistently get heartburn a few times a week or more, it can be a sign of an underlie condition requiring a doctor ’ randomness care. In this font, your heartburn will most likely continue to occur until the condition causing it is treated or managed. Heartburn symptoms can include :
- burning sensation in the chest or throat
- stuffed nose
- trouble swallowing
- sour taste in the mouth
- being woken up out of sleep by a cough or gastric discomfort
If your heartburn international relations and security network ’ t the symptom of an implicit in condition, you should be able to successfully treat it with nonprescription ( OTC ) medications, such as antacids, proton pump inhibitors, or H2 sense organ antagonists. You may besides find stand-in from the following life style changes :
- Avoid lying down within two hours of eating. Instead, take a walk to help stimulate digestion.
- Avoid eating any additional food until your heartburn has passed, especially spicy, acidic, or citrus foods.
- If you have any specific food triggers, such as tomato-based foods, citrus, alcohol, coffee, or soda, avoid them while you have heartburn.
- If you smoke, avoid cigarettes or other types of nicotine while you’re experiencing heartburn.
- If heartburn bothers you at night, try elevating your upper body while you sleep. You can do this by using a special wedge pillow or elevating the head of the bed with blocks. Note: It’s not a good idea to prop yourself up with extra pillows to get this elevation. This can bend your body in such a way that it increases pressure on your stomach and can actually worsen your heartburn symptoms.
- Wear loose clothing, especially around the waist. Constrictive clothing may make your heartburn worse.
If OTC medication or life style changes don ’ thyroxine help your heartburn or if you experience heartburn frequently, talk to your doctor. They can help identify underlying causes for your heartburn and an allow treatment plan.
There are many ways you may be able to prevent periodic heartburn or reduce the frequency of chronic heartburn .
- Identifying food triggers can help you eliminate or reduce heartburn. Food triggers may include garlic, onions, citrus foods, tomatoes and tomato products, alcohol, soda, and coffee.
- Reducing your serving sizes at meals can help. Try to eat several mini-meals during the day rather than a few large ones.
- Avoid eating late at night or right before bed.
- Stop smoking cigarettes, if you smoke.
- Being overweight or obese may increase your risk of having heartburn. Losing weight may help reduce heartburn.
- Avoid lying down for at least two hours after eating.
If you have heartburn more than twice a week or if it interferes with your life, spill to your doctor. You may have gastroesophageal reflux disease ( GERD ). Heartburn is a symptom of GERD. Unlike occasional heartburn, GERD is defined by having heartburn or other reflux-related symptoms at least twice a week. It can range from balmy to severe. In addition to heartburn, GERD symptoms can include :
- regurgitation of undigested food or sour liquid into your mouth or throat
- trouble swallowing
- the feeling of having a lump in your throat
frequent heartburn may be a bless that there is constant discomfort to the line of the esophagus. besides much irritation to the esophagus for widen periods of time can lead to ulceration equally well as to precancerous and cancerous changes to the esophagus. If your heartburn is hard or occurs much, see your doctor. GERD often improves with life style changes or medicine.
Read more: ED
Heartburn and pregnancy
Heartburn is a common occurrence during pregnancy. It can occur at any time, starting in the first trimester. Episodes of heartburn during pregnancy may be longer in duration than heartburn caused by food alone. however, the amount of food and types of food you eat can make heartburn worse as can bending over or lying on your back besides soon after eating. Heartburn in pregnancy is besides made worse by progesterone, a hormone which is necessity for maintaining a healthy pregnancy. progesterone relaxes a muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter, which acts like a valve, separating the digest from the esophagus. When this brawn relax, it allows digest acerb to rise up out of the abdomen and into the esophagus. Because it isn ’ thymine made to handle abdomen acidic, the esophagus becomes irritate and causes the burning sensation we know as heartburn. The size of the fetus besides plays a function. Heartburn can worsen as pregnancy progresses and the fetus starts to fill out the entire uterus. This can cause the uterus to press up against the stomach, pushing its contents up into the esophagus. heartburn can besides be worse for women carrying multiples, such as twins or triplets, because of the extra atmospheric pressure placed upon the digest. Experiencing heartburn during pregnancy doesn ’ metric ton beggarly you ’ ll be more prone to it after your pregnancy has ended. When your pregnancy ends, the lawsuit of your heartburn ends, besides .
Treating heartburn during pregnancy
Check with your doctor before taking any OTC medications for heartburn. If you get the green ignite, make indisputable to follow both the sophisticate ’ sulfur and the package directions and don ’ triiodothyronine overuse. Liquid antacids may provide greater relief than early kinds, since they coat the stomach. Talk to your repair about which treatments are best for you. The be base remedies may besides help :
- Warm milk with honey may soothe your stomach and reduce heartburn symptoms.
- Resist the urge to lie down after eating and take a stroll, instead.
- When you do sleep, try using your pregnancy pillow underneath your body from the waist up. This elevates your upper body while providing cushioning.
occasional heartburn is coarse and normally responds to at-home treatment, such as taking OTC medication. life style modifications, such as avoiding certain foods and losing weight, can besides help.
Heartburn during pregnancy is identical common. This type of heartburn may besides respond to at-home treatment. If you ’ rhenium fraught, speak to your sophisticate before using any type of medicine. If you ’ re regularly experiencing heartburn more than doubly a week, or it ’ s interfering with your liveliness, lecture to your sophisticate. They can help identify an underlie causal agent and appropriate discussion .