A home lineage glucose test could even be lifesaving by preventing the complications of systematically high lineage sugar. The complications of diabetes can include cardiovascular disease, kidney problems, and heart damage.
How to test for diabetes at home
share on PinterestPeople can test their blood glucose at home using a blood glucose monitor. Home blood glucose monitor indicates how efficaciously the body is processing glucose. A home lineage glucose kit out reads glucose testing strips. These strips allow the machine to detect the grade of glucose in a drop of blood. People obtain a sample of their lineage with a lancet arch, or little, short needle. For the most accurate quiz, people should keep a record or log of the food they eat and look for trends in their lineage glucose readings. Whether consuming a high- or low-carbohydrate meal, a higher-than-normal blood boodle recitation after a person has eaten suggests that their body is not reducing rake glucose successfully after mealtimes. Before testing, people will need to read the manual for the blood glucose monitor and testing strips. many home glucose monitors work in unlike ways. In most cases, people should only insert testing strips into the proctor immediately before a read. After consulting a repair about the right screen schedule and frequency, a person can follow these steps :
- Wash and dry the hands before handling the testing kit.
- Some methods recommend cleansing the testing area with an alcohol swab. Others may merely advise washing with warm, soapy water. With either, make sure the area is dry before taking a sample.
- Some glucose monitors allow testing on the arm or another, less sensitive area of the body. Rapid changes in blood sugar may not present accurately in less sensitive areas. The finger is usually best when monitoring for rapid changes in blood sugar.
- When testing on the finger, use the side of the finger, and test different fingers on each occasion. Most lancets allow the user to set how deep they penetrate the skin. People with thicker or drier skin should set the penetration higher.
- Before lancing the finger, position it against a solid surface. Apply the lance firmly but not forcefully.
- Gently squeeze the finger while holding it at chest level and allow a drop of blood to flow onto the test strip.
- Note and record the blood glucose reading following each test.
Some people with diabetes besides use an alternate blood test to measure glycated hemoglobin ( HbA1c ). The routine for this test is largely the like but will produce different readings. sometimes known as A1c, the quiz indicates blood carbohydrate levels over respective weeks .
When should testing occur?
A doctor might recommend testing at three different times, and often over the run of several days :
- Morning fasting reading: This provides information about blood glucose levels before a person eats or drinks anything. Taking blood glucose readings before eating provides a baseline number. This number offers clues about glucose processes during the day.
- Before a meal: Blood glucose before a meal tends to be low, so a high blood glucose reading at this time suggests difficulties managing blood sugar.
- After a meal: Post-meal testing gives a good idea about how the body reacts to food, and if sugar can reach the cells efficiently. Blood glucose readings after a meal can help diagnose gestational diabetes, which happens during pregnancy. Most doctors recommend testing about 2 hours after a meal.
The doctor will personalize the glucose monitor schedule for the individual.
plowshare on PinterestTake abnormal blood test results to a doctor. For people with diabetes, rake boodle readings should be as follows :
- Fasting (morning testing or before a meal): 80–130 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl)
- Before meals: 70–130 mg/dl
- Two hours after starting meals: Below 180 mg/dl
- At bedtime: Under 120 mg/dl
- HbA1c: 7.0 percent or lower
Before beginning home test, it is crucial that people get clear, target figures from their doctor of the church. prey numbers may vary from person to person and may change over time, depending on an individual ’ s health, long time, weight, and early factors. For people who do not have diabetes, lineage carbohydrate levels should be within the be ranges :
- Fasting (morning testing or before a meal): under 100 mg/dl
- Before meals: Less than 110 mg/dl
- Two hours after meals: Below 140 mg/dl
- At bedtime: Under 120 mg/dl
- HbA1c: 5.7 percent or lower
A person can not diagnose diabetes using home testing alone. People with strange readings will need further testing by a repair. The doctor might carry out fasting tests, oral glucose tolerance tests, HbA1c tests, or use a combination of these methods. Learn more about the ideal rake glucose levels here .
Choosing a blood glucose monitor
A blood glucose monitor, testing strips, and a lancet arch to draw the blood are all necessary for testing. Some testing kits offer all three, while others require separate purchases for each assemble. People with diabetes use many testing strips, and so it may be wise to cautiously consider the cost of the testing strips equally well as the admonisher. Some other tips for buying a monitor include :
- Select one with automatic coding to avoid the need to code in results with every test.
- Check insurance plans to see if an insurer only covers certain monitors.
- Look at whether the unit stores previous data.
- Consider portability, since larger units can be difficult to carry around.
- Think about blood sample size, particularly for people who do not like pricking themselves.
Monitors that require a smaller lineage sample distribution may be more comfortable as the depth of the lancet arch can be less.
When to see a doctor
People using home blood glucose tests who have unusually high results, peculiarly on more than one juncture, will need to see their doctor. Those with diabetes who do not correctly manage rake boodle or have sudden blood sugar changes should besides consult a doctor.
The sophisticate may recommend changes in life style, medicine, or both. A person can control diabetes well by managing carbohydrate intake and exercising regularly, People with prediabetes, or boundary line diabetes, are at gamble of developing diabetes if they do not act promptly to manage their blood sugar. They should talk to their doctors and continue regularly monitoring blood glucose .