In children with Hirschsprung ‘s disease, nerves fail to form in all or separate of the large intestine ( colon ). barren from digestion can not pass through the depart of the colon lacking boldness weave. The convention colon swells with forget fecal matter .
Hirschsprung ‘s ( HIRSH-sproongz ) disease is a circumstance that affects the boastfully intestine ( colon ) and causes problems with passing stool. The stipulate is confront at birth ( congenital ) as a result of missing boldness cells in the muscles of the baby ‘s colon. Without these boldness cells stimulating gut muscles to help act contents through the colon, the contents can back up and cause blockages in the intestine.
A newborn who has Hirschsprung ‘s disease normally ca n’t have a intestine movement in the days after birth. In mild cases, the condition might not be detected until late in childhood. uncommonly, Hirschsprung ‘s disease is first diagnosed in adults .
surgery to shunt or remove the diseased share of the colon is the treatment .
Signs and symptoms of Hirschsprung ‘s disease vary with the asperity of the condition. Usually signs and symptoms appear shortly after birth, but sometimes they ‘re not apparent until late in life .
typically, the most obvious sign is a newborn ‘s failure to have a intestine movement within 48 hours after birth.
Read more: Urination Pain – Male
early signs and symptoms in newborns may include :
- Swollen belly
- Vomiting, including vomiting a green or brown substance
- Constipation or gas, which might make a newborn fussy
- Delayed passage of meconium — a newborn’s first bowel movement
In older children, signs and symptoms can include :
- Swollen belly
- Chronic constipation
- Failure to thrive
It ‘s not clear what causes Hirschsprung ‘s disease. It sometimes occurs in families and might, in some cases, be associated with a genetic mutation .
Hirschsprung ‘s disease occurs when heart cells in the colon do n’t form wholly. Nerves in the colon operate the muscle contractions that move food through the bowels. Without the contractions, stool stays in the large intestine .
Factors that may increase the hazard of Hirschsprung ‘s disease include :
- Having a sibling who has Hirschsprung’s disease. Hirschsprung’s disease can be inherited. If you have one child who has the condition, future biological siblings could be at risk.
- Being male. Hirschsprung’s disease is more common in males.
- Having other inherited conditions. Hirschsprung’s disease is associated with certain inherited conditions, such as Down syndrome and other abnormalities present at birth, such as congenital heart disease.
Children who have Hirschsprung ‘s disease are prone to a serious intestinal infection called enterocolitis. Enterocolitis can be dangerous and requires contiguous discussion .