Path to improved health
Improving your heart health is not unmanageable when you know how to eat and how to exercise. Follow these tips to get the most out of your diet and exercise plan .
The foods you eat can affect your weight, your hormones, and the health of your organs, including your heart. Eating a healthy diet can help reduce the hazard of affection disease and stroke .
- Choose healthy fats. Despite what you may have heard, some fats are actually good for you. When you use fats for cooking, choose monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil or canola oil. Avocados are also a good source of monounsaturated fat. Polyunsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids are also healthy choices. Polyunsaturated fats are found in nuts and seeds. Omega-3 fats are found in fish, such as tuna and salmon. In general, you should try to avoid trans fats. Trans fats are usually found in processed foods and snacks such as crackers or snack cakes. To see whether a food contains trans fats, look for the words “partially hydrogenated” in the ingredient label.
- Go whole-grain. Whole-grain breads or pastas are higher in fiber and complex carbohydrates. Choose them instead of white breads or regular pastas for sandwiches and meals.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. They contain fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are good for your body. They also add flavor and variety to your diet.
- Prepare meat healthfully. Baking, broiling, and roasting are the healthiest ways to prepare meat and poultry. Trim any outside fat or skin before cooking. Lean cuts can be pan-broiled or stir-fried.
- Don’t forget beans. Dry beans, peas, and lentils offer protein and fiber. Once in a while, try substituting beans for meat in a favorite recipe, such as lasagna or chili.
- Choose low-fat dairy. Go for fat-free or low-fat versions of milk, yogurt, and cheese products.
- Pack in protein. Eat protein–rich foods, including fish, lean meats, skinless poultry, eggs, nuts and seeds, and beans.
- Try a diet. The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) eating plan is a heart-healthy approach that lowers blood pressure and bad cholesterol in your blood. Or try the Mediterranean Diet for another healthy approach to eating.
What should I NOT eat?
A heart-healthy diet limits some nutrients. These include :
Sodium. Flavor foods with spices or no-salt seasonings alternatively of salt. Watch out for prepackaged foods, sauces, canned foods, and processed foods. They can all contain a high amount of sodium .
Saturated and trans fats. Saturated fats are found in fatty meats, domestic fowl clamber, whole-milk dairy, butter, embroider, and coconut and handle oils. Trans fats are found in some desserts, microwave popcorn, frozen pizza, stick margarines, and coffee bean creamers. Look for the words partially hydrogenated anoint on the food label .
Added sugar. Sweetened drinks, snacks, and sweet treats are the main informant of add sugars in the United States. These include sodas, sweetened chocolate and tea, energy drinks, cakes, pies, ice cream, candy, syrups, and jellies. Limit these types of foods and drinks .
Alcohol. Limit your intake of alcohol. man should have no more than 2 drinks a sidereal day. Women should have no more than 1 toast per day. excessively much alcohol can raise your blood pressure and campaign you to gain slant. It can besides contribute to or worsen heart bankruptcy in some people .
How much should I weigh?
lecture to your kin repair about your ideal slant, because every person is different. If you ’ rhenium corpulence, the extra pounds put extra try on your heart. Losing system of weights can help your heart stay healthy. Remember that losing barely 10 % of your body slant will reduce your risks for diabetes and heart disease .
exert makes your heart solid. This helps it pump more lineage with each pulse. This delivers more oxygen to your body. With more oxygen, your body functions more efficiently .
drill can besides lower blood pressure. It reduces your hazard of heart disease and reduces levels of LDL ( “ badly ” cholesterol ). Bad cholesterol can clog the arteries and can cause a affection attack. At the lapp time, exercise can raise levels of HDL ( “ good ” cholesterol ). HDL helps protect against a heart attack by carrying fatso deposits out of the arteries.
Read more: Healthy Eating | PeaceHealth
When combined with a healthy diet, exercise can speed up system of weights loss. even exercise builds lean muscle, which burns more calories than fat. This helps you burn calories faster, flush when you ’ re sitting hush .
What’s the best type of exercise for my heart?
Aerobic drill causes you to breathe more deeply. It makes your heart work hard to pump blood. Aerobic exercise besides raises your heart rate ( which burns calories ). Examples of aerobic exercise include walk, jog, running, dance, liquid, and bicycle .
How much exercise do I need?
If you haven ’ thymine been exercising, try to work up to 30 minutes 4 to 6 times a week. Your doctor may recommend a different exercise regimen based on your health. Alternate exercise days with rest days or days you do a very unlike type of exercise. This will help prevent injuries .
How will I fit exercise into my busy schedule?
There are lots of ways to raise your affection pace during your even day. Some examples include :
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk during a coffee break or lunch.
- Walk to work, or park at the end of the parking lot so you have to walk farther.
- Walk more briskly.
- Do housework at a quicker pace and more often (for example, vacuuming every day).
- Rake leaves, mow your lawn, or do other yard work.
Things to consider
Diet and exercise are an authoritative depart of your center health. If you don ’ metric ton consume a thoroughly diet and you don ’ t exercise, you are at increase gamble of developing health problems. These include high lineage blackmail, gamey cholesterol, fleshiness, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. These increase your gamble of center approach and stroke .
Questions to ask your doctor
- Should I eat a special diet to keep my heart healthy?
- I am overweight. How can I lose weight to make my heart healthier?
- Am I healthy enough to begin exercising?
- How much should I exercise?
- I already heave heart disease. Can diet and exercise make me better?
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute : heart-healthy Lifestyle Changes