Blood tests for gallbladder cancer
rake tests can :
- check your general health, including how well your liver and kidneys are working
- check numbers of blood cells
- help diagnose cancer and other conditions
Your rake sample is sent to the testing ground. A blood doctor can look at your sample under a microscope.
Reading: Blood tests for gallbladder cancer
They can see the different types of cells and can count the different blood cells. They can besides test for different kinds of chemicals and proteins in the blood .
Preparing for your blood tests
You can eat and drink normally before most rake tests. For fasting rake tests you need to stop eat and toast ahead. Your doctor will tell you for how long .
You sit or lie down to have the test .
A doctor of the church, nurse or phlebotomist ( person specialised in taking blood ) chooses the best vein to use. This is normally from your branch or hand. Let them know if you are afraid of needles, get ailing with the sight of blood or are allergic to plasters or latex .
They put a tight band ( compression bandage ) around your arm above the area where they take the sample. You may need to clench your fist to make it easier to find a vein .
They clean your skin and then put a modest needle into your vein. following, they attach a belittled bottle or syringe to the needle to draw out some blood. They might fill respective modest bottles .
once they have all the samples, they release the band around your arm. They then take the needle out and put pressure on the area with a cotton wool ball or minor slice of gauze for a few minutes. This helps to stop run and bruising .
Look away when they ’ re taking the blood if you prefer. Tell your doctor, nurse or phlebotomist if you feel ailing .
Types of blood tests
Full blood count
A full blood count ( FBC ) measures the phone number of loss cells, white cells and platelets in your blood .
- Red cells carry oxygen around our bodies. Haemoglobin is the part of the cell that carries oxygen. If you have a low red cell count, your doctor might say you’re anaemic (pronounced a-nee-mic). This can make you feel tired, short of breath and dizzy.
- White cells fight infections. There are several different types of white cells, including neutrophils and lymphocytes.
- Platelets help clot the blood. Symptoms of a low platelet count include abnormal bleeding, such as bleeding gums and nosebleeds.
There is a roll of convention for blood counts. The range of figures quoted as normal varies slenderly between laboratories and besides differs between men and women.
Urea and electrolytes
These blood tests show how well your kidneys are working. consume chemicals called urea and creatinine are produced by the body. Our kidneys remove them from our lineage and get rid of them in our urine .
Electrolytes are substances such as sodium, potassium, chloride and bicarbonate .
Liver function tests (LFTs)
Liver function tests ( LFTs ) check how well your liver-colored is working. LFTs expression for levels of enzymes and proteins made by the liver or which are cleared by the liver. They include :
- alanine aminotransferase (ALT)
- aspartate aminotransferase (AST)
- alkaline phosphatase (ALP)
- gamma-glutamyl transferase (Gamma GT)
They might be raised if you have a blockage in your liver or bile duct, or if you drink a distribute of alcohol .
LFTs besides look at the amount of bilirubin in the lineage. This is a chemical in bile .
Bilirubin can be raised if you have a problem with your liver or gallbladder. Bilirubin can cause yellow of your skin and eyes ( jaundice ) .
LFTs besides measure albumin. This is a protein in the lineage that can be moo in some types of cancer. You can besides have low albumin if you ’ ve been eating little amounts and are malnourished .
Tumour markers blood test
tumor markers are substances that might be raised if there is a cancer. They ’ re normally proteins. They can be found in the rake, urine or body tissues .
Some tumor markers are lone produced by one type of cancer. Others can be made by several types. Some markers are found in not cancerous conditions vitamin a well as cancer .
Doctors might use tumor markers to help diagnose a cancer. And if you have cancer they can besides help to monitor how well your cancer treatment is working or check if the cancer has come back.
Read more: Diarrhea – Symptoms and causes
rake sample distribution ( venesection ) is a safe test. There is a possibility of :
- bleeding and bruising – pressing hard when the needle is removed can help to stop it
- pain – this is normally mild and can last for a few minutes
- swelling (oedema) – ask your nurse, doctor or phlebotomist to avoid an arm that is swollen or has a risk of swelling
- feeling faint or fainting – tell the person doing your blood test if you’re feeling lightheaded or dizzy at any time
- infection – this is very rare
Getting your results
Ask the phlebotomist, doctor of the church or nanny when and how you will get your results. Some results might be available very quickly, such as a full blood consider and kidney and liver-colored affair tests. Some other tests might take several weeks .
We have more information on tests, treatment and subscribe if you have been diagnosed with cancer .