The major organs in your digestive system are the liver, stomach, gallbladder, colon and belittled intestine .
Indigestion — besides called indigestion or an disquieted digest — is discomfort in your upper abdomen. Indigestion describes certain symptoms, such as abdominal pain and a palpate of fullness soon after you start eating, rather than a specific disease. indigestion can besides be a symptom of diverse digestive diseases.
Reading: Indigestion – Symptoms and causes
Although indigestion is common, each person may experience indigestion in a slenderly different way. Symptoms of indigestion may be felt occasionally or angstrom often as daily .
indigestion may often be relieved with life style changes and medications .
Products & Services
- Book: Mayo Clinic on Digestive Health
If you have indigestion, you may have :
- Early fullness during a meal. You haven’t eaten much of your meal, but you already feel full and may not be able to finish eating.
- Uncomfortable fullness after a meal. The feeling of fullness lasts longer than it should.
- Discomfort in the upper abdomen. You feel a mild to severe pain in the area between the bottom of your breastbone and your bellybutton.
- Burning in the upper abdomen. You feel an uncomfortable heat or burning sensation between the bottom of your breastbone and your bellybutton.
- Bloating in the upper abdomen. You feel an uncomfortable sensation of tightness in your upper abdomen.
- Nausea. You feel as if you want to vomit.
Less frequent signs and symptoms include vomiting and burp .
sometimes people with indigestion besides know heartburn. Heartburn is a pain or burning touch in the center of your chest that may radiate into your neck or back during or after eating.
When to see a doctor
Mild indigestion is normally nothing to worry about. Consult your doctor if discomfort persists for more than two weeks .
Contact your repair correct away if pain is dangerous or accompanied by :
- Unintentional weight loss or loss of appetite
- Repeated vomiting or vomiting with blood
- Black, tarry stools
- Trouble swallowing that gets progressively worse
- Fatigue or weakness, which may indicate anemia
Seek immediate medical attention if you have :
- Shortness of breath, sweating, or chest pain radiating to the jaw, neck or arm
- Chest pain on exertion or with stress
Indigestion has many potential causes. Often, indigestion is related to lifestyle and may be triggered by food, drink or medicine. coarse causes of indigestion include :
- Overeating or eating too quickly
- Fatty, greasy or spicy foods
- Too much caffeine, alcohol, chocolate or carbonated beverages
- Certain antibiotics, pain relievers and iron supplements
A condition known as functional or nonulcer indigestion, which is related to cranky intestine syndrome, is a very common campaign of indigestion .
sometimes indigestion is caused by other conditions, including :
Read more: Nephrotic syndrome in children
- Inflammation of the stomach (gastritis)
- Peptic ulcers
- Celiac disease
- Pancreas inflammation (pancreatitis)
- Stomach cancer
- Intestinal blockage
- Reduced blood flow in the intestine (intestinal ischemia)
- Thyroid disease
Although indigestion does n’t normally have good complications, it can affect your timbre of animation by making you feel uncomfortable and causing you to eat less. You might miss exploit or school because of your symptoms .