Six Guidelines To Healthy Eating
Whatever your blood cholesterol floor, you can make changes to help lower it or keep it low and reduce your risk for heart disease. These are guidelines for heart-healthy living that the whole family ( including children ages 2 and above ) can follow :
1) Choose foods low in saturated fat
All foods that contain fat are made up of a mixture
of saturated and unsaturated fats. Saturated fat raises your blood cholesterol
level more than anything else you eat. The best way to reduce blood cholesterol
is to choose foods lower in saturated fat. One way to help your family do this
is by choosing foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains–foods
naturally low in total fat and high in starch and fiber.
2) Choose foods low in total fat
Since many foods high in total fat are besides high gear in saturated adipose tissue, eating foods low in full fatten will help your family corrode less saturated fat. When you do eat fatness, substitute unsaturated fatten — either polyunsaturated or monounsaturated — for saturated fat. Fat is a rich beginning of calories, so eating foods low in fat will besides help you eat fewer calories. Eating fewer calories can help you lose weight — and, if you are corpulence, losing weight is an important contribution of lowering your blood cholesterol. ( Consult your family doctor if you have a refer about your child ‘s burden. )
3) Choose foods high in starch and fiber Foods high in starch and character are excellent substitutes for foods high gear in saturate adipose tissue. These foods — breads, cereals, pasta, grains, fruits, and vegetables — are low in saturated fatty and cholesterol. They are besides lower in calories than foods that are high in fatten. But limit fatty toppings and spreads like butter and sauces made with cream and unharmed milk dairy products. Foods high in starch and character are besides dear sources of vitamins and minerals. When eaten as character of a diet depleted in saturated fat and cholesterol, foods with soluble fiber — like oat and barley bran and dry peas and beans — may help to lower blood cholesterol.
Reading: Six Guidelines To Healthy Eating
4) Choose foods low in cholesterol Remember, dietary cholesterol can raise blood cholesterol, although normally not arsenic much as saturated adipose tissue. So it ‘s important for your family to choose foods first gear in dietary cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol is found entirely in foods that come from animals. And even if an animal food is low in impregnate fat, it may be high in cholesterol ; for case, organ meats like liver and egg yolks are broken in impregnate fat but senior high school in cholesterol. egg whites and foods from plant sources do not have cholesterol.
Read more: Nephrotic syndrome in children
5) Be more physically active Being physically active helps improve blood cholesterol levels : it can raise HDL and lower LDL. Being more active besides can help you lose weight, lower your lineage atmospheric pressure, improve the fitness of your heart and blood vessels, and reduce try. And being active together is great for the entire family. 6) Maintain a healthy weight, and lose weight if
you are overweight People who are fleshy tend to have higher rake cholesterol levels than people of a healthy weight. Overweight adults with an “ apple ” form — bigger ( pot ) belly — tend to have a higher gamble for center disease than those with a “ pear ” shape — bigger hips and thighs .
Whatever your body shape, when you cut the fat in your diet, you cut down on the richest source of calories. A family eating radiation pattern eminent in starch and fiber alternatively of fat is a good way to help control weight. Do not go on crash diets that are very humble in calories since they can be harmful to your health. If you are corpulence, losing even a little burden can help to lower LDL-cholesterol and raise HDL-cholesterol .