What is cholesterol?
Your body needs some cholesterol to work properly. But if you have besides much in your blood, it can stick to the walls of your arteries and narrow or flush block them. This puts you at risk for coronary artery disease and other kernel diseases .
cholesterol travels through the rake on proteins called lipoproteins. One character, LDL, is sometimes called the “ bad ” cholesterol. A high LDL charge leads to a buildup of cholesterol in your arteries. Another type, HDL, is sometimes called the “ good ” cholesterol. It carries cholesterol from other parts of your body spinal column to your liver. then your liver removes the cholesterol from your body .
There are steps that you can take to lower your LDL ( bad ) cholesterol and raise your HDL ( good ) cholesterol. By keeping your cholesterol levels in scope, you can lower your risk of heart diseases.
What are the treatments for high cholesterol?
The chief treatments for high cholesterol are life style changes and medicines .
Lifestyle changes to lower cholesterol
heart-healthy life style changes that can help you lower or control your cholesterol include :
Read more: ED
- Heart-healthy eating. A heart-healthy eating plan limits the amount of saturated and trans fats that you eat. It recommends that you eat and drink only enough calories to stay at a healthy weight and avoid weight gain. It encourages you to choose a variety of nutritious foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. Examples of eating plans that can lower your cholesterol include the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes diet and the DASH eating plan.
- Weight Management. If you are overweight, losing weight can help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol. This is especially important for people with metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors that includes high triglyceride levels, low HDL (good) cholesterol levels, and being overweight with a large waist measurement (more than 40 inches for men and more than 35 inches for women).
- Physical Activity. Everyone should get regular physical activity (30 minutes on most, if not all, days).
- Managing stress. Research has shown that chronic stress can sometimes raise your LDL cholesterol and lower your HDL cholesterol.
- Quitting smoking. Quitting smoking can raise your HDL cholesterol. Since HDL helps to remove LDL cholesterol from your arteries, having more HDL can help to lower your LDL cholesterol.
Medicines to lower cholesterol
For some people, making life style changes alone does not their lower cholesterol adequate. They may besides need to take medicines. There are respective types of cholesterol-lowering drugs available. They work in unlike ways and can have unlike side effects. Talk to your health concern supplier about which medicine is right for you.
Read more: Gastritis – Symptoms and causes
even if you take medicines to lower your cholesterol, you silent need to continue with life style changes .
Lipoprotein apheresis to lower cholesterol
familial hypercholesterolemia ( FH ) is an inherit form of high cholesterol. Some people who have FH may get a treatment called lipoprotein apheresis. This treatment uses a percolate machine to remove LDL cholesterol from the rake. then the car returns the rest of the blood back to the person .
Supplements to lower cholesterol
Some companies sell supplements that they say can lower cholesterol. Researchers have studied many of these supplements, including bolshevik yeast rice, linseed, and garlic. At this time, there is n’t conclusive evidence that any of them are effective in lowering cholesterol levels. besides, supplements may cause side effects and interactions with medicines. Always check with your health care provider before you take any supplements .