- digestive problems
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
While there ’ s no acquit attest that stress by itself can trigger a urinary nerve pathway infection ( UTI ), stress may affect your immune system, making you more vulnerable to infections. try can besides amplify some symptoms of lower urinary tract disorders.
What the science says about if stress can cause a UTI
A UTI is excitement in your bladder, kidneys, or the tubes that connect them ( ureters ). Most of the time, UTIs are caused by the bacteria E. coli. UTIs can besides be caused by other microbes, including :
- klebsiella pneumoniae
- staphylococcus saprophyticus
- proteus mirabilis
- enterococcus faecalis
- group B strep
- candida spp
- pseudomonas aeruginosa
- staphylococcus aureus
You may have a higher risk of UTI if you have :
- frequent sex
- changes to the structure of your vagina or vulva from age or injury
- changes in the flora of your vagina
- family or personal history of UTIs
- blockage such as a kidney stone or an enlarged prostate
- used a catheter
- used vaginal diaphragms with spermicide
- a non-secretor blood type
The role of stress in developing UTIs
While tension doesn ’ t directly cause an infection, tension can lower the potency of your consistency ’ randomness natural underground to infection and illness. When you experience stress, your body produces a hormone called hydrocortisone. If besides much hydrocortisone is present for excessively retentive, your body can ’ metric ton competitiveness infection or lower ignition vitamin a well as it normally does. A damaged immune system can lead to chronic infections. stress and urinary nerve pathway health have a two-way relationship. stress can depress the immune system, leading to infection. infection or disease can increase the stress you feel. A 2017 inspection of studies found that people with urinary nerve pathway conditions experience higher levels of psychological stress, which can worsen symptoms.
The role of stress on urinary tract symptoms
Depending on where your UTI is and what precisely is causing it, you could notice some of these symptoms :
- pain, stinging, or burning when you urinate
- sore lower back or abdomen
- urine that’s cloudy, bloody, or dark
- increase in the number of times you need to urinate
- greater urgency in the need to urinate
anxiety and tension can cause — or worsen — respective other lower urinary nerve pathway symptoms, even when no infection is present. For exemplar, people who have hyperactive bladder ( OAB ), a condition that causes you to urinate more often, have importantly higher stress than people without the discipline, according to one 2015 study. When stress goes up, so does the sense of urgency you feel about having to urinate. try can besides cause symptoms of a chronic urinary condition called interstitial cystitis ( IC ) to flare up. In a 2019 learn involving children and teens with lower urinary tract symptoms ( LUTS ), researchers found that around 20 percentage had significantly higher stress than those without symptoms. Their stress, in call on, led to more severe symptoms. That ’ s how the link between stress and UTI symptoms is intertwined : chronic stress can weaken your immune system, making you more vulnerable to contagion or urinary nerve pathway symptoms. then, the symptoms themselves raise your stress more.
Treatments for UTI
If your UTI is caused by a bacterial infection, the most coarse treatment is antibiotics. A healthcare professional might besides prescribe pain medication.
What are some lifestyle tips to prevent UTIs?
If you have patronize UTIs, you may want to try some of these strategies for preventing them :
- Stay well-hydrated. Water is essential for a healthy urinary system.
- If you’re a person with a vagina, avoid using scented products in or near your vaginal area.
- Urinate as soon as you feel the need — don’t hold it.
- Urinate right before and right after sex.
- Try unsweetened cranberries or unsweetened cranberry juice. The evidence on their effectiveness is mixed, but the unsweetened varieties have lots of health benefits.
- Talk to a healthcare professional about whether your birth control method could be the reason for your UTI.
- Take (or eat) a probiotic containing lactobacilli, a bacteria that promotes urinary health.
Tips to relax
The research is clean : Lowering your tension can strengthen your body ’ mho immune response. here are several science-backed methods for lowering stress and boosting natural immunity :
- cognitive behavioral stress management
- meditation and mindfulness training
- physical activity and exercise
When to talk with a healthcare professional
Any time you have a question about your urinary health, it ’ south all right to talk to a healthcare professional. It ’ s specially crucial to address symptoms of a urinary tract infection early on because an infection in your bladder can spread to your ureters and kidneys. An untreated UTI can besides lead to urosepsis, an infection that ’ sulfur spread to other body systems and which can cause organ failure and death. Around 25 percentage of sepsis cases begin in the urinary tract. It ’ second besides a dear estimate to talk to a trusted healthcare professional if you think stress is affecting your health. Lowering stress international relations and security network ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate equitable good for your urinary system ; it ’ mho good for your mind and the rest of your body systems, besides.
The bottom line
stress by itself doesn ’ thymine causal agent UTIs, but it can make you more susceptible to infections and other illnesses by harming your immune system. stress can besides trigger or worsen urinary tract symptoms — tied if you don ’ t have a UTI.
Your urinary system is vital to your overall health. If you think tension may be interfering with your urinary health, you can talk to a doctor or healthcare professional about your risks, prevention strategies, and treatments. You can besides make it a priority to lower stress in your life through meditation, yoga, and psychotherapy .