What is vaginitis?
Vaginitis is an aggravation of your vagina or vulva. It ’ south super common and normally easy to treat. Almost everyone with a vulva gets vaginitis at some period .
Think you may have a yeast infection or vaginitis?
Find a Health Center
A right arrow in a circle
We could n’t access your localization, please search for a placement .
Zip, City, or State
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code code or city or country.
Reading: Vaginitis, Yeast Infection & BV
Please fill out this battlefield .
filter By All Telehealth In-person
What causes vaginitis?
vaginitis is when your vulva or vagina becomes inflamed or irritate. This can happen when there ’ s a change in the normal chemical balance of your vagina, or if you have a reaction to irritating products .
many things can cause vaginitis — and sometimes there ’ sulfur more than 1 campaign. Things that lead to vaginitis include :
Common vaginal infections like :
- vaginal yeast infections
- bacterial vaginosis
Lack of Estrogen ( atrophic vaginitis ) :
Lack of estrogen can lead to a type of vaginitis called atrophic vaginitis ( besides known as vaginal atrophy ). atrophic vaginitis is when you have irritation but no abnormal discharge. Things that can cause low estrogen include :
- price to your ovaries, or having your ovaries removed
Vaginitis international relations and security network ’ t a sexually transmit infection. But sometimes sexual action can lead to vaginitis. Your partner ’ south natural genital chemistry can change the symmetry of yeast and bacteria in your vagina. In rare cases, you can have an allergic reaction to your partner ’ sulfur semen. clash from sex, or certain types of lubricants, condoms, and sexual activity toys may besides cause irritation. Read more about vaginitis and sex .
Allergies and Irritants
Allergic reactions or sensitivity to different products, materials, or activities can besides cause vaginitis. Things that can lead to discomfort include :
- vaginal deodorants, washes, and perfumed “ feminine hygiene ” products
- scented pantie liners, pads, or tampons
- perfumed bathtub products
- scented or colored toilet composition
- some chemicals in laundry detergents and framework softeners
- sealed types of lubricants ( i.e. flavored or with sugars in them )
- arouse toys made out of certain materials
latex paint and rubber in sex toys and condoms ( if you have a latex paint allergy )
Read more: Weird Sex Positions You Need To Try
- taut pants, or underwear/pantyhose that don ’ t have a cotton fork
- wearing wet bathing suits or damp clothing for long periods of clock time
- hot tub or swim pools
Everyone ’ second body is different, so things that lead to aggravation in some people don ’ thymine campaign problems for others. Read more about keeping your vagina healthy .
Some people get vaginitis a distribute. If you have vaginitis 4 or more times in a year, it ’ south called perennial vaginitis. You can get perennial vaginitis if you have conditions like diabetes or HIV that make your immune arrangement weak. You can besides get perennial vaginitis if you do n’t finish your vaginitis treatment .
What are vaginitis symptoms?
The signs of vaginitis can vary depending on what ’ s causing it. But vaginitis symptoms normally include :
- Your vagina and/or vulva is discolored, irritate, conceited, or uncomfortable .
- Itching, sunburn, and pain in your vulva or vagina .
- trouble or discomfort during sex .
- Feeling like you have to pee more frequently than usual. Peeing may sting if your vulva is actually annoy .
Vaginal discharge that isn ’ thyroxine normal for you :
- With yeast infections, discharge is normally thickly, white, and odorless. You may besides have a white coating in and around your vagina .
- With bacterial vaginosis, you may have vaginal acquit that ’ s grey, foaming, and smells fishy. ( But it ’ second besides common for BV to have no symptoms. )
- With trich, discharge is often bubbling, yellow-green, smells bad, and may have spots of rake in it .
vaginitis symptoms can be extremely obvious, or scantily noticeable. sometimes there are no symptoms at all. It ‘s a good idea to pay attention to what your vulva and vaginal fire normally looks, feels, and smells like, so it ’ second easier to notice any changes that could be signs of vaginitis or other infections .
Was this page helpful?
Help us improve – how could this information be more helpful ?
How did this information help you ?
Please answer below.
Are you human? (Sorry, we have to ask!)
Please do n’t check this box if you are a homo .
Read more: 21 Actually Mind-Blowing Anal Sex Positions
You ’ re the best ! Thanks for your feedback .
Thanks for your feedback .