Although urine doesn ’ thyroxine contain bacteria, sometimes bacteria in your genital area can get into your urinary tract. This can lead to infection and ignition, which is known as a UTI. many factors can increase your gamble for getting a UTI, including having sex. According to a 2013 reappraisal, UTIs will probably affect at least 50 to 60 percentage of women in their life. Although men have a lower risk for getting a UTI, specially after sex, it can hush happen. In this article, we ’ ll search at what you can do to lower your hazard for getting a UTI from sex, other potential hazard factors, and the most effective treatment.
Can you get a UTI from having sex?
Yes, you can get a UTI from having sex, specially if you ’ re a womanhood. “ During sexual intercourse, thrusting can introduce bacteria up the urethra and into the bladder, increasing the risk of a UTI, ” explains Dr. Lakeisha Richardson, MD, OB-GYN. The reason that women are more prone to getting a UTI from arouse is due to female anatomy. Women have a shorter urethra than men, which means it ’ s easier for bacteria to get into the bladder. besides, the urethra is closer to the anus in women. This makes it easier for bacteria, like E. coli, to get into the urethra. It ’ south important to keep in mind that you can besides get a UTI from oral sex, not precisely penetrative sex. With oral sex, bacteria can inactive get introduced into the urethra, which can lead to an infection. Although anyone is susceptible to getting a UTI from having sex, Richardson says women with a history of perennial UTIs or urinary abnormalities have an increased risk for these infections .
How can you reduce your risk for a UTI after sex?
Although it might not be possible to come up with a completely goofproof plan to prevent a UTI, you can surely take steps to reduce your risk for getting a UTI after sexual activity. hera are some tips :
- One helpful tip, says Richardson, is to always urinate after sex. “Eliminating any bacteria in the bladder after sex decreases the risk of a UTI,” she explains.
- Some doctors also recommend urinating before sex to lower the risk of a UTI.
- Washing your genital area with warm water before sex may reduce the risk of bacteria getting into the urethra, especially for women.
- Some contraceptives, such as diaphragms or spermicides, may increase your risk for a UTI. If you think either of these may be contributing to your UTI, consider other forms of contraception.
Richardson besides says women who have recurrent UTIs may benefit from taking a prescribed antibiotic after arouse. This is typically one dose taken immediately after having sexual intercourse. If you ’ re prone to getting UTIs, you may want to talk with your repair about an antibiotic prescription for this function.
Do some people have a higher risk for getting a UTI than others?
While anyone can get a UTI, research shows that women are about eight times more probably to get one than men. “ besides, menopausal women with dry or atrophic weave have a higher gamble of getting a UTI, ” Richardson explains. other factors that can put you at a higher risk for a UTI include :
- frequent, intense sexual intercourse
- sex with a new partner
- a previous UTI
- multiple pregnancies
- a weakened immune system
- urinary or genital abnormalities
Another gene is family history. According to Harvard Health, having a mother or baby who has frequent UTIs may increase your hazard for getting one, besides .
What are the symptoms of a UTI?
The symptoms that accompany a UTI can cause discomfort. If hard enough, this discomfort can put a serious curl in your daily life. Some of the more coarse symptoms of a UTI include :
- an urge to urinate frequently but passing less urine
- a burning sensation when urinating
- pain or pressure in the abdomen or pelvic area
- blood in urine
- abnormal urine that may smell or appear cloudy
- rectal pain (in men)
Depending on the localization, you may besides experience annoyance in your upper bet on and abdominal sides. This may be a sign of the zodiac that the infection has spread to your kidneys. Alongside annoyance, you may besides experience :
Read more: 8 Best Tips And Positions, Per Experts
What are the other causes?
sex is a common campaign of a UTI, but it ’ s not the entirely cause. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists ( ACOG ), there are many factors that can cause a UTI. Besides having arouse, some of the most park causes include :
- problems with completely emptying your bladder when you urinate
- blockages or obstructions in your urinary tract, like kidney stones or an enlarged prostate
- the use of urinary catheters
- frequent use of antibiotics, which can disrupt the balance of bacteria in your urinary tract
When to see a doctor
If you have symptoms of a UTI, make an appointment to see your sophisticate deoxyadenosine monophosphate soon as possible. They ’ ll be able to diagnose and treat your infection with the correct kind of medication.
How is a UTI treated?
Most UTIs can be successfully treated with antibiotics. According to the ACOG, most antibiotic treatments are identical effective and death only a few days. There are besides other medications available for discussion that are not antibiotic based. To help ease symptoms of abdominal pain or discomfort while urinating, your doctor may besides prescribe pain medication. If a UTI is more complicated or has progressed to a more severe infection, your doctor may prescribe extra medications or consider hospitalization. If you ’ re prone to recurring UTIs ( defined as three or more UTIs a class ), your sophisticate may consider extra treatments, such as :
- a low-dose antibiotic that’s taken for 6 months
- a single dose of antibiotics to be taken immediately after sex
- vaginal estrogen therapy for postmenopausal women
At dwelling, while you ’ ra waiting to see your doctor, hear to :
- drink plenty of water
- avoid liquids that may irritate your bladder, including:
- citrus juice
- apply a heating pad to your back if you have pelvic or abdominal pain
In addition to any treatment design your repair may prescribe, consider the following tips to prevent a UTI from coming spinal column :
- Drink plenty of fluids, at least six to eight glasses of water a day.
- Frequently empty your bladder and as soon as you feel the urge. This is especially important immediately after sex.
- For women, after urinating, wipe from front to back to avoid introducing any bacteria into the urethra.
- Keep your genital area clean by gently washing with warm water every day, as well as before sex.
- Use contraception that doesn’t include a spermicide.
- Avoid douching or using vaginal deodorants or scented tampons or pads.
- Avoid wearing jeans and underwear that are too tight.
Richardson besides suggests taking a vaginal probiotic. These probiotic capsules might prevent recurring UTIs by helping to maintain a healthy vaginal flora on a casual basis. One popular lean you may have heard about is drinking cranberry juice to prevent UTIs. however, studies on the potency of cranberry juice to prevent a UTI aren ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate conclusive. indeed, for now, don ’ thyroxine trust on cranberry juice as a prevention method.
The bottom line
intimate intercourse can increase your risk for getting a UTI, but there are simpleton steps you can take to reduce your opportunity of getting one. Pee right after sexual activity and keep your genital area clean. Consider possibly using a unlike form of contraception. talk with your repair if you have any questions or concerns about how to prevent a UTI. besides, be sure to get medical attention if you have a bite ace when you pee, blood in your urine, or pain in your abdomen or abdominal sides .